Respected Contributor

Re: DEER Saturday 04/17/2021

@riley1 

We have coyotes too.  They are very much maligned.  I have mixed feelings.  It saddens me to hear about a family pet that was attacked by a coyote, as happens from time to time.  It is fashionable where we live for people to have chickens in their yards..you see where this is going.  So, of course, a certain human population wants to hunt the coyotes  all to oblivion.  My feeling is always "they were here first..we are taking their territory."  It is a dilemma.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian,

I know what you mean.

I feel the same esp with owls, hawks eagles. I know they are predators but I love them too-so majestic and beautiful.

We have a hawk,several that hangs around. I love seeing him but I always tell him you can eat but not here (esp my little chipmonk running around 😄 He's very bold but I clap my hands and he flies away.

My father always said it is part of the food chain. It sort of made me feel less sad, but not reallySmiley Sad

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

Your post struck a chord with me too.  Last summer, late in the summer, I saw two or three squirrels in our yard.  My husband and I have a huge disagreement about how cute squirrels are.  (Okay, he just hates them, along with chipmunks.)  So, the disagreement was settled by a Red Tail Hawk.  Enter hawk into apple tree where squirrels climb.  Soon, no more squirrels.  I haven't seen any this Spring.  Nature is not kind. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love these!  It's so awesome to see how comfortable they are to just rest with you ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maximillian  Yup, same thing here. There are those that just want them gone no matter what it takes. The saying "they were here first" seems to fall on deaf ears.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay - Yes, we have hawks, etc as well and I have seen many a dove being chased by hawks.

While I do understand (at least my brain does) it is part of the food chain, my heart has such a hard time seeing any animal hurt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maximillian wrote:

@on the bay 

Your post struck a chord with me too.  Last summer, late in the summer, I saw two or three squirrels in our yard.  My husband and I have a huge disagreement about how cute squirrels are.  (Okay, he just hates them, along with chipmunks.)  So, the disagreement was settled by a Red Tail Hawk.  Enter hawk into apple tree where squirrels climb.  Soon, no more squirrels.  I haven't seen any this Spring.  Nature is not kind. 

I've seen hawks carrying off squirrels in their mouths. My husband said owls do they same thing. He knows I'm more fascinated with owls. I see owls, but not often. I just love seeing their big bright eyes, hearing them hoot and seeing them turn their heads all the way around.

My sister had a couple of cats killed by coyotes. This was many years ago. She didn't know anything about coyotes but learned quickly.

Trusted Contributor

I've had squirrels nesting in my roof crawl space and in my basement and chipmunks in my kitchen. Lots of $$$$ to correct the damage from the squirrels.

The squirels are still trying to get back in.......

I now root for the coyotes and hawks.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Guys? I love these deer threads because they are so peaceful. With animals who are safe and calm and protected and happy.mother and baby koala cuddling

I come here for the sweet side of nature.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@candyagain 

Interesting how personal experience informs our likes and dislikes.  I guess it will always be that way.  So, you agree with my husband that squirrels and chipmunks gotta go.  I like them.  Of course, I like hawks and coyotes too.