Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEER Saturday 02/06/2021

Mr Buck is showing off his harem. Watching all the deer tired your beautiful fur baby out. ❤️🐾

Honored Contributor

i get a flock of pigeons - doesn't seem fair

❤️❤️❤️❤️ ur pics - always puts me in a good mood

and Cricket knows how to chill - has it down to a science

Respected Contributor

Beautiful indeed! @MamaWick 

Thanks again for sharing your family of deer with us .. oh, and of course, "Cricket."  Heart

Respected Contributor

The fans are coming in town for the "big game," or at least the "big feast" at the Wicks!

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like that buffet line is getting longer and longer.

Hugs to Cricket - all tucked in taking a nap.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my, in that first picture it's almost as though that beautiful deer is saying, "I'm looking at you babe."  She/he is that close, I could almost reach out and hug it.  Woman LOL Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Although I live in town, we do have a hill with woods a couple streets above us and DH said he saw deer tracts in our yard.  Our neighbor told us today there were 2 deer in our yard about 5 a.m. this morning. 

We put out several types of bird and woodpecker food and cracked corn and peanuts that the squirrels love.  DH feels the deer were eating the cracked corn.  He is going out tomorrow to buy the kind of corn the deer eat.  We have about 20 species of birds coming to the feeders and started with 5 squirrels.  Today we had 10 squirrels at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 -

Hi Kathy,

You have a lot of great visitors too!

My neighbor used to drive quite a ways to buy corn for the deer.

I wish I had known then that corn is not good for deer.

We've talked about this here too

and @MamaWick , often says she never feeds them corn. I wonder how it became popular with people to feed them that. This is just from google search-

"Corn: DO NOT feed deer a pure corn diet as the high starch content of corn can cause high acidity in the rumen which kills microorganisms necessary for digesting food. Hay: DO NOT feed hay to deer."

I think they do like carrots, 

Your birds sound wonderful and must be so much fun to watchHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyM23  Please do not buy corn for deer...even the stuff that is called deer corn.  It is extremely bad for them.  There is a bag of feed called Deer Nutrition that many places carry.  It is balanced for them.  I also feed them carrots and apples.  But corn is a big no-no.  You can look up what is okay to feed.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm!  Did not know that about the corn.  Yesterday our herd increased from 3 deer to we now have 5 of them.  Our friend who is a farmer is always complaining about the deer eating so much of his corn crop.  Since his deer are triving and increasing, I sure did not know they should not eat corn.  Evidently the deer don't know it either!  Will have to check and see what DH actually bought for the deer.  They are also eating alot of our birdseed and peanuts!  I did know they like apples and carrots.