Esteemed Contributor

For the most part, they stayed at the back of the yard.  But I will say, if Buckley moved toward them, they scrambled out of the way.  After today, pictures may be few and far between from outside the house.

20201024_220253.jpg

20201024_220431.jpg

20201024_220521.jpg

20201026_141414.jpg

20201026_141330.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

Aaaawwwww look at them, so peaceful, and the handsome buck is beyond stunning.  They are all magnificent, especially him.

Valued Contributor

Awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Monday 10/26/2020

[ Edited ]

MamaWick,

I certainly have enjoyed all the photos you have taken of Buckley and his herd, but I am relieved to know that you might soon do your snaps from the safety of the inside of your home.

We value you more than the photos.

The universe is in a tizzy lately, I think.  About a couple miles from me, a Wegman's grocery store and various other businesses took away huge swaths of forest about three years ago; this was followed last year by new condos/townhomes being erected on another huge chunk of forest located across from the Wegman's strip mall (and free-standing restaurants).

Well, I've had foxes before, but yesterday took the cake.  A fox killed and ate a squirrel about 10 feet from my front door -- right on my lawn!  I was appalled but he was doing what a hungry fox does (he looked thin).  

Later last night, my son saw the fox's silhouette on one of the two driveways that lead to the homes that sit behind mine.  This morning, I saw the fox's scat on a loose brick that sits under my bay window.  What a pushy guy (gal?) this fox is. 

Esteemed Contributor

So cool 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

Your Sharing the photos you have taken of your beautiful friends has given me so much joy.  I look for them everyday and return to them frequently.  It is a pleasure to know someone who is willing to step up for the animals.

Thank You.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We have a fox in our neighborhood.  Live and let live; I try to keep this in mind.  The critters were here before we were,  We took their territory.

Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Monday 10/26/2020

[ Edited ]

maximillian,

I totally agree with you.  I prefer them at a greater distance, though.

The reason I included the info about the new Wegman's, etc., was -- as is obvious -- to point out that the wildlife have had their land taken from them.  The animals and vegetation in those forests and fields that are now gone provided them their sustenance and protection.  They are now dependent on what they find in the neighborhoods that replaced their former homes.

It is sad.  My area has changed so much in the last four decades, plus.

Last year I had a fox family in my backyard (which, for some reason, gives me greater peace of mind).  The father protected his family as he sat in the sun.  His family was under my shed, which also annually houses a groundhog family.

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick   Oooh! Guarding posture in photo 5!  Those does are his! 
  When my large buck, Buckaroo was older and the herd of does eating he came to eat. The Alpha doe put her head low walked up to him and bowed down to him. Then she resumed eating.

I enjoyed seeing them so much! 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick  Love your house and the deer pics.