Honored Contributor

Re: DECISION TO MAKE: OUT OF RETIREMENT

@Shanus

You are truly an artist. I never knew enamel work was so time consuming. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. How hot doesn the kiln need to be? I don't even bake in the summer because of the heat. Anything above 83 and I'm too warm. That's why I swim, because it is exercising in cool conditions only. Did you only do enamel work in cool weather?lol.  Enamel work based on weather conditions, I'm not a good salesperson at all. 

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey  The kiln goes from 1450 -1500 degrees depending on results you want. The temp stays constant inside or the enamels would not melt. If the piece is removed by opening the door suddenly and the cool air of the room gets to it, it can crack. So it cools to room temp before taking it out. Next question is how do I know when it has cooled? Size of the piece, thickness of enamels and lots of experience....😜

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

There are no words for the temps you need for your kiln. BTW, no need to differentiate between 1450 - 1500 degrees. Results I want? A picture says it all.

images.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I've been thinking about your dilemma ....  I suppose a part time thing until your SO retires might be an option.

However ..... you're a creative person, and what you've done in your career really can't be compared to a 9 to 5 in a cubicle type job.

Assuming you really want to shut down everything ....  what are you going to replace it with?    You can close your studio,  but you certainly can't just turn off your creative urges like flipping a light switch.    

So I'm asking ....   what ELSE could you do as a creative outlet?    Maybe this needs to be given some thought ....

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey. The room isn't hot...just the inside of kiln. No ice bath needed. Lol. 😂

Honored Contributor

Hi @Tinkrbl44  Retirement is stopping selling to galleries & taking orders. I've been in my studio every day for at least 4-5 hrs. I paint, still do jewelry as gifts (& selfishly for myself), make collages, watercolors, everything and anything. There's no way an artist can completely stop creating...ever. They'd have to cut off my arms & I'd probably figure out a way to use my feet. A creative mind never stops.