Honored Contributor

DECISION TO MAKE: OUT OF RETIREMENT

Oh well. Retirement from my jewelry business may have been short lived. Several galleries have contacted me in the last 2 weeks that they are receiving requests for special orders (since my jewelry is no longer in their cases).

I assume with Mother's Day, bridal season and graduation, people are thinking about jewelry gifts. I mentioned in my SHANUS LIVE FROM THE MALL post, that I may be going to a gem show next month. That is in preparation for my decision to go back in business. 

I suppose I could do "special order" only which would mean not working full time to fill the galleries' cases, drive around to check their inventory, replenish items sold, etc. 

I could also set a time frame of now through June 1st,  taking orders which would be completed and delivered by June 15th. I'm definitely no longer interested in doing shows or selling inventory from my studio. There's a separate entrance & stairs up to my studio so customers do not wander through the house. That would interrupt my work, even by appointment only, and I'd be back to full time jewelry design and production.

One thing to keep in mind is I have no crafts' people working with/for me. Each piece is one of a kind. I design it, make it, file/finish/polish each piece and then set the stones. 

Although I love the work and never stopped making jewelry as gifts to friends, family and myself, it's an entirely  different thing to be back on a scheduled day with deadlines. It's quite flattering to be asked & the income is great.

Those are the facts. What should I do?

Respected Contributor

Re: DECISION TO MAKE: OUT OF RETIREMENT

Maybe put the word out that you will be doing "special requests only" - like weddings, birthdays, etc. It is very flattering when they request a reorder - that's a tough decision. 

Honored Contributor

How would any of us know the answer to your question?

Obviously you retired for a reason.

@Shanus wrote:

Oh well. Retirement from my jewelry business may have been short lived. Several galleries have contacted me in the last 2 weeks that they are receiving requests for special orders (since my jewelry is no longer in their cases).

I assume with Mother's Day, bridal season and graduation, people are thinking about jewelry gifts. I mentioned in my SHANUS LIVE FROM THE MALL post, that I may be going to a gem show next month. That is in preparation for my decision to go back in business. 

I suppose I could do "special order" only which would mean not working full time to fill the galleries' cases, drive around to check their inventory, replenish items sold, etc. 

I could also set a time frame of now through June 1st,  taking orders which would be completed and delivered by June 15th. I'm definitely no longer interested in doing shows or selling inventory from my studio. There's a separate entrance & stairs up to my studio so customers do not wander through the house. That would interrupt my work, even by appointment only, and I'd be back to full time jewelry design and production.

One thing to keep in mind is I have no crafts' people working with/for me. Each piece is one of a kind. I design it, make it, file/finish/polish each piece and then set the stones. 

Although I love the work and never stopped making jewelry as gifts to friends, family and myself, it's an entirely  different thing to be back on a scheduled day with deadlines. It's quite flattering to be asked & the income is great.

Those are the facts. What should I do?

Honored Contributor

Do what your heart and head tell you to do.  You are in control now.  Only you can decide what is right for you.  Either way, Good Luck!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do whatever you feel would make you the happiest. I do think its very cool you have a following, so you must be very good Smiley Happy

I'm editing to add, maybe it would be good do to go the special order route. I don't think I would go back full time. Unless you are bored with retirement.

Since your son and his family will be coming to stay with you for a while, I don't think I would want to back to full time work, but thats just me.

Honored Contributor

You are now in a position to do what you want and when you want, set your own deadlines and take on the designs you want. You are in the drivers seat so to speak. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus

The best way to find out is to just do it.  If it feels wrong, stop.

Incidentally, how do you put a retirement date on artistic expression/talent?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

IMO, You have to ask yourself if you're really ready to retire.

Just because you are really good at what you do and people enjoy your work does not mean you have to come out of retirement to oblige them.

You're either in or out.

If you do want to retire and YOU feel the need to make a few pieces here and there, then do it on YOUR own terms.  Taking special orders will only put you back to work full time. 

If and when you do decide to make something special because you want to, put it aside until you have a few pieces, then sell them outright to a customer directly or to a gallery or studio.

This will make your new pieces scarce and the demand higher and you will be able to sell at a higher price.  Less work for more money and no obligation for you to meet deadlines, etc.  Just work if and when you feel like it.

If you are not ready to retire, then it will be business as usual.

Only you can decide what to do.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

As others suggested- a few special pieces by request only. If that is too much then retire completely. You sent the timeline for those requests so it doesn't interfere with vacation, visits from family etc. To do what you love and be in control on pricing and scheduling is the ultimate. You can always retire again. Most people who want to come out of retirement will have to hit the pavement- send out resumes etc. You hold the power in the palm of your hands. Best of luck to you.

I think what you do is so cool. If you don't mind, can you answer a question for me. I bought a piece of sea glass wrapped in silver colored wired in Bermuda for my 55th birthday. It wasn't expensive, perhaps $30 or so at a crafts gallery. I loved it and wore it on a cord. I didnt take it off. The silver started to turn copper colored. Why? I swim in a pool, was that the problem? I haven't worn it in a year. It makes me sad when I look at it now. I don't even know where to go to have it wired again, it was just a simple free form. Sorry for intruding on your thread.
Valued Contributor

What about setting up a website? You could make pieces at will, on your own time, and post them on the site. Many ecommerce sites allow you to set up"groups", so you can post pictures with info, but different pricing (1 for retail, 1 for wholesale) You can also choose whether or not to require a wholesale signin and/or minimum order.

It would require a fair bit of time to set up, but once it's there and you get a system going, it basically runs itself.

Etsy is one option, and they now have a wholesale site too.