Honored Contributor

DECEMBER 11 IS THE BIRTHDAY OF "MARGE" (CREATOR OF "LITTLE LULU" COMICS)

As a child, I adored "Little Lulu" comics.  They were the only ones my parents got for me, and only when I was sick and in bed, usually.  That and the occasional root beer float were two exciting things my mother used to ply me with at my sickbed!  (Normally, we didn't buy "pop" except for special occasions, Christmas, etc.)

So anyway, "Lulu" was hedged around with "high treat" status for me.  But it was far more than that.  Her creator, cartoonist "Marge" (Marjorie Henderson Buell) had a lovely dry sense of humor that even a child could sense and savor.  Her characters were memorable, enterprising, funny, flawed, kids--  Lulu Moppet, Tubby, Alvin, Annie, Iggy, Gloria.  Unlike some other comics, Lulu's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Moppet, were sane presences grounding the strip.

One of Marge's favorite words that the kids use in the series is "fresh"--  in the sense of "cheeky".   It's part of the Depression-era charm of this kid-world, I think.  Wiki even quotes Marge as saying something like she wanted a character like Lulu because girls could get away with pulling "fresh" stunts that in boys would be considered boorish!

"Little Lulu" was created in 1935 in newspapers, but I think it said the series of comic books, the ones I read over and over, existed from 1948 to 1984.  They're a treasure trove of Americana pop culture.    

Valued Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 11 IS THE BIRTHDAY OF "MARGE" (CREATOR OF "LITTLE LULU" COMICS)

Nice to see someone else use the word "pop!" I was born and raised in western N.Y. and Dh was born and raised in eastern NY. He gives me a hard time when I say "pop;" he says " it's soda! "

Nice reminiscent post @Oznell .

Trusted Contributor

Good memoris. I actually had a subscription for Little Lulu. I only read that one and Archie. Good old days.

Honored Contributor

How odd, oznell.  Little Lulu was a favorite of mine, too!

There was, however, one drawback for me.  I don't know about your circle of kiddie friends, but for mine, "Lulu" was an unfortunately awkward and unattractive name.  I have no clue why this was so. 

In addition to having my father's first name as my middle name (a Greek custom to identify me), my mother decided to throw in my maternal grandmother's name as a second middle name for me.  That name begins with "Loulou..."   

I was mortified whenever anyone caught wind of that name and then called me Little Lulu.

Honored Contributor

Fun to find a few other "Lulu" appreciators!

Oh, Goldie, I think the beginning of your middle name, "LouLou" is charming--  seems flirtatious and "Continental".  Immediately makes me think of that French socialite, the one who was somehow associated with Yves Saint Laurent--   "Lou Lou de la Falaise"  I think it was....

Can't think of too many names more meltingly euphonious than that!

Valued Contributor

When I was little, my mother had a large box of books and magazines she had kept from her own childhood. Among them was a "Lulu" comic book. It was a large special issue about Lulu and her friends going to a summer camp. I remember loving that comic!

I am going to ask Mom if she still has that. A great childhood memory.

Trusted Contributor

Another Little LuLu reader here!  Also was addicted to Archie & Veronica.  Made my dad so mad when he took all of us on a family vacation with beautiful scenery, and brother & I sat in backseat reading comics.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, that is cool, @Highlands72..   I keep vaguely thinking that I read that there is a commemorative hardback collection or something, of the best of the comic books-- that is something I'd love to hunt up....

Amazing the hold these childhood favorites have on us...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

I fully agree that "Loulou" has a mellifluous quality, but the horror was that I would then be called "Little Lulu," and I did not want anyone to think I resembled her physically.  To my eye, she was very plain.  When I was called "Little Lulu," I cringed. 

You are going to smile when I give you the full name: It is "Louloudia."  (The "d" is pronounced like a soft "th."  "Loulouthia."   Guess what it means?  "Flowers."

And I remember the name "Lou Lou de la Falaise."  It is lovely.

AND "LOU LOU" EVOKES SOMETHING MORE FETCHING THAN "LULU" DOES.   A mystery, to be sure.

Respected Contributor

I adored Lulu (and Little Audrey, Richie Rich, the whole Archie crew. . .)

I also loved Millie the Model (and her rival, Chili the Model)--and KATY KEENE! (Does anyone remember her? She had that little sister--what was her name? Plus those comic books had cutouts; I enjoyed cutouts, despite their extremely flimsy nature.)

Plus I'm a pop drinker. My younger son moved to Virginia, so now he speaks of "soda."

Where did I go wrong?