Honored Contributor

DEALING WITH "BULLY" HUMMINGBIRDS

On our terrace, we've got a very nice hummingbird feeder.  An aggresive hummer sits on the nearby ficus and stands guard over it .... if other hummers come to feed, he swoops at them and chases them away!   I didn't know there was such a thing as a bully h-bird, until this little guy came along.  He's very persistent!

I want all the interested hummers to be able to feed, but am not sure what to do about the aggressive one.   Anyone have any experience, suggestions ...  or whatever?   TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: DEALING WITH "BULLY" HUMMINGBIRDS

@Tinkrbl44   I live in Tennessee, and in my area we only have one type of hummingbird, the Ruby Throated.  I love watching them.  Only one of them can feed at a time, though, because the others will drive them away.

There's often one that guards the feeder.  That's just typical behavior for Ruby Throated hummingbirds.  I keep a feeder on my front porch and another one outside my kitchen window at the back of the house so more than one can feed at a time.  If you decide to put out a second feeder, make sure it's out of sight of the other feeder.

In the western states they have several different types of hummingbirds, and many of them use the feeders at the same time.  I would love to see that in person.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's nature, and he is just doing what nature has designed him to do.

Most likely he is the dominant male, and the healthiest one passes on the genes to the next generation.

That's just how nature is.

Nature doesn't play favorites.

You could always try to hang another feeder, far away from the current one, and see if that works.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

Hummers can be territorial.  We have hummers that do the same.  I put out three feeders, a distance from each other, and it seems to work.  They all have a chance to feed.

My biggest peeve are the woodpeckers.  They drain the feeders, and because of their size, they also tip the feeders so there is spillage, and that attracts the bees.  I just clap my hands to scare them away.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

ITA with Pezzie.  I would put out more feeders and then maybe he can have his and the others can also eat.

I, too, was unaware that some will hog the feeder from the other birdies.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   @NickNack 

East of the Mississippi River we only have Ruby-Throated Hummers.  

The Males are called Bulls.  Go figure.  They are food aggressive.

The females delay migrating until after the males leave, in order to build up for the trip.

Just a bit of useless info. floating in my brain.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I can't believe you'd even suggest or contemplate trying to control a bully hummingbird.  What do you want to do, give him a time out?

Some species are naturally aggressive and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it.  Watching them "do their thing" is what makes watching hummers fun.  All birds are not created equal in Mother Nature's world.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Got to hand it to you about restraint.  Persistent is not first word I use for that little devil.  Mean, mean, mean.  I know nature......

Honored Contributor

That's the nature of hummingbirds.  And if it wasn't this guy, it would be another one doing the same thing.  Or a female, since they can be just as aggressive.

There isn't anything you can, or should, do.  Except keep the feeder(s) filled.  The other birds will either get enough to eat or they'll go elsewhere.  

This is one reason I keep more than one feeder.

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe 

That piece of trivia will someday be a Final Jeopardy question !