Honored Contributor

Re: DDay Anniversary coverage/Events Portsmouth England

They will be in Normandy on D-Day, I presume.  That is why the President will fly to France after Ireland today. 

The Allies landed on the fabled beaches of Normandy.  Heads of State will no doubt appear in Normandy tomorrow.  At least that is my best guess.

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@cherry wrote:

This is why it is so important for children to learn about our history in school

Cherry, that is one of my greatest fears.

I have grandchildren in different grades and there is so much of history that is not taught.

When I was in middle school (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), we covered American history from the beginning of our country until present day.  That is not done anymore.

I fear if the younger generation is not knowledgeable of lessons once learned from the past, they will be doomed to repeat it.

I cannot imagine the bravery of our soldiers storming that beach in France.  I urge everyone to read/watch what transpired up to that battle...it is fascinating.

Both of my kids have taken US history courses in middle and high school. My son, in fact, just finished AP US History as a junior in hs. They covered everything from the beginning through present day. I'm not sure where people live that they don't teach history, but they most certainly do where we are in CA (and it's probably a state standard).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ms traditional wrote:

@Sushismom @deepwaterdotter  you will see from schedule above that the event is spread over several days.  big things tomorrow in Normandy.

Sorry, but then I'm not sure why the upset with today's (6/5/19) programming is all about.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the things that  I remember from today is what the Queen said... that they weren't sure what they would do if D Day failed....kind of chilling...

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

This is why it is so important for children to learn about our history in school

Yes, it is important for children to learn our history, but, will they remember it?

Already, there are those under 40 who couldn't tell you when D-Day is, let alone what happened.

Most people cannot remember every piece of history learned in school. My children are well under the age of 40, and know all about DDay as well as all of the other wars that our country has been involved in.  

Which goes to my point. Will future generations remember this?

It's great that your kids remember this, but will everyone?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@ms traditional  Thank you for all the beautiful pictures!  Heart

Trusted Contributor

I surely hope that some station in the USA will show the ceremonies for D Day. This is such an important event in our history. We should all get down on our knees and thank God and the men and women who served and died to bring this War to an end. We can never forget this. Never forget the Holocaust and hope and pray there is never another Hitler again in our lifetime. God Bless America and our Armed Services. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What's sad is, every day we are loosing more and more of our World War 2 vets.

Soon, they'll be all gone.

@Anonymous032819   That's the life cycle.  Gosh, even Viet Nam vets (the war of my era) look pretty darn old now!

Respected Contributor

DH and DD in Normandy in respect for father in laws role in Normandy battles. Five years ago DH blown away by respect, thanks expressed by residents and citizens. American Flags flew everywhere. They commemorate every year to some extent do THAT THEIR YOUNG DO NOT FORGET and obviously learn from history. I don’t think we do enough to learn from the past. Books, teaching fall short.
I hope I can figure out the tv schedule so I can watch.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What's sad is, every day we are loosing more and more of our World War 2 vets.

Soon, they'll be all gone.

@Anonymous032819   That's the life cycle.  Gosh, even Viet Nam vets (the war of my era) look pretty darn old now!

@Pearlee 

I agree about the VN vets.

Let's also remember the vets who fought in Korea.

They are getting up there, too.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.