Honored Contributor

Re: DD got engaged at Christmas.....would apprieate your opinions about $$$

@sktchy wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

According to calculations, $25,000 adjusted to today's inflation is $28,152.91 if you want to gift equal amounts.

Personally, I would offer a nice wedding without being extravatant and let them pay what they chose over that amount.

It would be interesting to know if the first daughter felt that she would repeat the large wedding in retrospect.

@ECBG - you are so efficient.  I was wondering what the $25,000 gift amount would be if inflation was factored in ... Thanks !

@sktchyI just googled it SweetieSmiley Happy.  Hope it helps.

Honored Contributor

Wow that is a lot of money!  We could never have 'given' that amount of money away 1 time let alone for 3 children.  I understand why you feel you need to give more, unless you have it to burn, I would give an equal amount.

If I was your child I could never have taken that kind of money from my parents...especially now that they were retired....I would not have wanted a high end wedding, that's just me.

Esteemed Contributor

I would give the same amount. Inflation has not been terrible during the past few years and you are now retired so you need to watch your finances. I have two daughters and gave them the same amount. It worked out fine.

Honored Contributor

You're fortunate to have resources like that to waste, er, to allocate on lavish weddings... Each to their own, but I think it's ridiculous. That said, ask what kind of help they need, since they can afford the kind of show... they want, limit it to no more than you gave the other daughter, and hope like heck they elope...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

You all obviously have the money, your kids want to spend it on a big wedding--don't let people bring you down or criticize you!  Have a great time and enjoy every minute of it!!!!  

What you have is a blessing--not a curse.  Be thankful and enjoy it with your kids.  

Respected Contributor

Ignore all the rude people and their back handed comments. Congrats to your family. That is a tough call and I can see why you feel compelled to give 2nd DD more. But I guess to be fair you would have to give the same amount. My mom gave us a set amount for our wedding and we could spend it, save it or do both. We did both.