Honored Contributor

Re: DD couldn't vote this morning.

@gardenman wrote:

@Marp wrote:

If there is a problem with the voting machines ask for a provisional ballot. 

And if they won't give you one, there should be a local or county judge assigned to handle election issues. He/she can order a provisional ballot be provided. I had to go before the county election judge in 1980 when the County Board of Elections decided I was no longer registered. Whoever was in charge of filling out the books they used for registered voters decided the registration was only good for four elections (two primary and two general) and not four years, (It is for four years) so since I hadn't voted in the last four elections they removed my name from the book. I went before the judge and he got it cleared up in a few minutes time. Granted he had to threaten to send the deputies over to arrest everyone if they wouldn't issue the provisional ballot, but he got it done. No problems since then.

I just got back from voting and we had a very low turnout so far. There was no line, no wait, no issues at all. 

In my district, provisional ballots are only counted if they could swing the vote.  In other words, if one candidate is ahead by 1,000 votes and there are only a small handful of provisional ballots, the provisional ballots are not counted.

Honored Contributor

I just said to my husband as much as I don't feeling like going out today I will and hope my vote makes a dfference.

It's a small town mayoral election but we don't want his opponent getting in.  The opponents only concern for the township is how and when garbage is collected...

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD went to vote early on her way to work.  She called me and said she couldn't vote due to new way of doing it.  We are classified as a village to give you an idea of the size of where we live.  Always had paper ballots.

Now I guess it's some sort of tablet and they have to print something out before you can vote.  Nothing would print out.

They were trying to get hold of someone but  not getting any answer to their calls.

One guy had to get to work and had to work late tonight so he won't be able to vote at all.  He was understandably upset said someone was going to get a call.

Hopefully they will get it working.

I did early voting with a similar system.  It was a breeze.  My name was accessed on the ipad, I signed it and then had to move to another location that printed out my paper ballot.  That took a little while because people before you have their ballots printed first.  Once I got my ballot, I filled it out and brought it to the last machine to enter it.  There were hundreds of machines available, so things moved at a decent pace. Not sure what happened with your daughter, but it sounds like only a few people were working the polls where your daughter worked. There were tons of people at my polling place to help with issues.  What I will say is there is a great need to employ YOUNGER people at these polling places to help voters.  Too many are senior citizens well past 75 years old and they get confounded by problems.  I have an unusual spelling of my last name and often have to spell it several times when I check in because the man looking for my name is old and hard of hearing.   Don't get me wrong, I'm a senior (but younger), so I'm not saying older people shouldn't work.  However, there should be some type of determination if they can do the job effectively.

Respected Contributor

Russian interference ?

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD went to vote early on her way to work.  She called me and said she couldn't vote due to new way of doing it.  We are classified as a village to give you an idea of the size of where we live.  Always had paper ballots.

Now I guess it's some sort of tablet and they have to print something out before you can vote.  Nothing would print out.

They were trying to get hold of someone but  not getting any answer to their calls.

One guy had to get to work and had to work late tonight so he won't be able to vote at all.  He was understandably upset said someone was going to get a call.

This is early voting, so not a one day thing, correct?  She can go back and vote another day, so while this is an inconvenience, it's not that she is being denied her opportunity to vote.  It seemed that some of the responses on this thread were assumed that she WAS being denied her vote.  Just wondering if I'm the one who misunderstood the OP.  If this happened on election day as opposed to early voting, I'd be up in arms too. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I did early voting with a similar system.  It was a breeze.  My name was accessed on the ipad, I signed it and then had to move to another location that printed out my paper ballot.  That took a little while because people before you have their ballots printed first.  Once I got my ballot, I filled it out and brought it to the last machine to enter it.  There were hundreds of machines available, so things moved at a decent pace. Not sure what happened with your daughter, but it sounds like only a few people were working the polls where your daughter worked. There were tons of people at my polling place to help with issues.  What I will say is there is a great need to employ YOUNGER people at these polling places to help voters.  Too many are senior citizens well past 75 years old and they get confounded by problems.  I have an unusual spelling of my last name and often have to spell it several times when I check in because the man looking for my name is old and hard of hearing.   Don't get me wrong, I'm a senior (but younger), so I'm not saying older people shouldn't work.  However, there should be some type of determination if they can do the job effectively.

Totally understand but who is going to sit there all day for $40 with 30 mins lunch on a folding chair

here they want a full Day commitmen might work better if they had people scheduled in four hour blocks

Might get more people willing to do it 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

This is early voting, so not a one day thing, correct?  She can go back and vote another day, so while this is an inconvenience, it's not that she is being denied her opportunity to vote.  It seemed that some of the responses on this thread were assumed that she WAS being denied her vote.  Just wondering if I'm the one who misunderstood the OP.  If this happened on election day as opposed to early voting, I'd be up in arms too. 

The way I'm reading the original post, this happened this morning.  Hopefully it's straightend out and the OP's daughter can vote on her way home from work this evening.

Valued Contributor

@seaBreeze. Thanks for the laugh. I was thinking the same thing Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

We just mail in our ballots... the postage is even free!   They have drop boxes too if someone wants to use  them. No leaving the house.. no standing in line. All states should implement this form of voting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

We just mail in our ballots... the postage is even free!   They have drop boxes too if someone wants to use  them. No leaving the house.. no standing in line. All states should implement this form of voting. 

It has always seemed to me that fraud would be more likely/easier with mail in ballots.  I admit that I know nothing about paper ballots since voting in my area has been by machine, standing in a booth, since I was a child in the 1950s.  Years ago we pulled a lever next to each name, and now it's a touch screen. 

I can remember the machines being rolled into my elementary school, since schools were used as polling places.  When I was in jr. high, we were allowed to use the actual voting machines for our student council election.  It was exciting, and a great civics lesson. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett