Honored Contributor

Re: DARE WRIGHT, MIDCENTURY PHOTOGRAPHER, MODEL, CHILDREN'S AUTHOR

[ Edited ]

Typical of the poignant, dramatically lit, fairy-tale like shots in her books on the Lonely Doll and the Bears.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

And just a tad creepy...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

You've hit on it, perceptive @just bee.  There is just that touch of the macabre, the 'unknowableness in the shadows', that is present in her work.  One wonders how much the undeniable sadness in her life, and the "blighting" of her personality, manifested itself in this way....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

She never married.  I assume she had no children.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

That's right, @just bee.  The people who knew her best described her as completely child-like herself-- she played with the children of friends, as if she were one of them.  No doubt that is partly why she is such a good children's author. 

And all her life she had a naivete, and a sort of helplessness in the sometimes tough adult world, especially in some of the sophisticated New York circles in which she once traveled...   Helps explain some of her unraveling at the end, unfortunately...