Respected Contributor

Please dont let this become political, just historical. I was speaking with my Mom, who was a young woman at the time and she shared some of her memories with me.

There is a reason men and women of her age group were and are called The Greatest Generation.

Honored Contributor

DDay.PNG

Honored Contributor

Re: D Day 6/6/1944

[ Edited ]

My Dad was at D Day - he was supposed to drive a supply truck off one of those landing vehicles. They did not bring it in far enough and when he drove off he sank to the bottom of the ocean.Somehow got back to the surface - they dragged his unconscious body back to the landing vehicle and took him back to the ship. His first purple heart. He spent most of the war back in England after that as he really damaged his lungs breathing in seawater. He didn't finally get back into the war until right before they crossed into Germany. Despite that he was in a situation where there were German women & children and a german soldier threw a hand grenade. My Dad jumped on it to save them and he was extremely badly injured. He was awarded a silver star and got his second purple heart. That he wasn't killed was a miracle.

Honored Contributor

Wow, maestra, thank you so much for this reminder of the extraordinary determination and sacrifice of that group.  Excellent post!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

Please dont let this become political, just historical. I was speaking with my Mom, who was a young woman at the time and she shared some of her memories with me.

There is a reason men and women of her age group were and are called The Greatest Generation.

I am of this generation.  I was only 3 when Pearl Harbor was bombed and 5 1/2 at DDay, but I remember the black outs and ration stamps.  It made a deep impression on me.  The fear was very real. 

I was afraid there wouldn't be enough food to eat or shoes to wear.  I remember cutting out cardboard to make insoles for our worn shoes to make them last longer and the lean times and many other things.  So many other sacrifices my parents made that I'm sure us kids never knew about.  But it made me a stronger person and I learned how to manage on little.  God Bless America!

Respected Contributor

I also thank you for this post, Maestra.  My Dad went ashore on Omaha Beach, but was not injured until three days later.  He eventually lost his left leg and walked on an artificial leg for the rest of his life.  He's been gone almost 16 years now, but I still say a special prayer for him and all our WWII veterans on this day.

Esteemed Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@maestra

Can you share these with us?

I so wish my father would have spoken more about his experiences. He was a tank commander in the Battle of the Bulge and also liberated a camp. (That's why he couldn't talk about things much.)

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@maestra

Can you share these with us?

I so wish my father would have spoken more about his experiences. He was a tank commander in the Battle of the Bulge and also liberated a camp. (That's why he couldn't talk about things much.)

Many soldiers can't discuss what happened to them in battle except with the others who were there with them. My Dad always said he did not remember how he won his silver star and was injured. He would go every year to his unit's reunion and talk to those guys though. One year they finally decided to make the reunions for the whole family and we met the guys my Dad served with. They told us what a great hero he was. They clearly admired him for what he had done. After he died I found my Dad's citation in their papers and it told in detail what he had done and there was a picture of him being awarded his medal by General Eisenhower and President Truman.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel all the brave men and women who go when needed for the USA are heroes. 

The D-Day men are special for the job they had to do.  My Dad and uncles were WWII vets - they are a special group of guys. Love em all!!  (How many college grads today take to the streets to tear down the USA for anything they don't like. What a shame this has come to be what happens today).  Not meant to be political but it is how I feel and see things.   . 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I heard this on this morning's news and saw the photos, I just had to cry.  My DH came down to find me sobbing in the kitchen and wondered what had happened.

It made me sad for all the young lives lost.  I just couldn't comprehend such sacrifice, and the fear they must have felt.

My own father was in the Merchant Marines during the war, and photos of him show a skinny, handsome boy posing on a ship somewhere out at sea.  Said he was scared, but felt he had to serve.

It all just made me profoundly sad, but proud of that generation that gave so much for all of us.