Honored Contributor

Re: Cyber Black Friday Experience

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@dex wrote:

@software I think if you don't get out into the hustle and bustle once in awhile that you are missing out.It is kind of like watching a football game on tv or actually being at the stadium.The crowd feeds on each other's excitement and the noise and action are heightened.BF shoppers have their game plan and strategies to get to all of the stores where the deals are scored..Some people win and some lose but the rush and defeat can be seen and felt...You can stand in cashier lines proud of your shopping skills with all of the other victorious shoppers or you can be frustrated at home by all of the internet problems and overloads.Black Friday is an event...you can choose to be a player or side lined.

I'll choose the sidelines... Woman Wink

@stevieb

Me too!

I'd rather have an enema than to join the mobs of people, some crazy, many violent, voluntarily.

Image result for cats dressed as nurses

@KingstonsMom...  Woman LOL

As for BF shopping... been there, done that... No need to do it again...

Oh, and I'd opt for the prune juice... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb

Me too, went BF shopping in stores once or twice when I had lost my mind....never again.

And I'd take the prune juice too GF, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

This is my opinion and my opinion only.  I am not missing out on anything because I am not out on Black Friday.  I can't figure out when material things have overtaken the real reason for the holiday.  The commercials start before Halloween and I think  that is a shame.   Thanksgiving does not even get a mention anymore.  The only shopping I do at Christmas is for people that have nothing and for dog shelters.  My husband and I have not exchanged gifts in 20 years.  Again, that is what works for us.  Not putting anyone else down or the way they celebrate.  Merry Christmas to all!

Respected Contributor

Used to love Black Friday shopping. It would be our annual 'date' for hubby and I lol...but that was before online and stores starting the evening before. The only day I didn't mind crowds and waiting...I was younger in those days LOL...

Kohl's started Monday with the majority of their sales.  We ventured out Friday at around 10ish...it wasn't bad anyplace UNTIL we arrived at Kohl's at 12 pm...the lines were literally wrapped around the store in both directions..um no..nothing in there i wanted  to stand in those lines...Sunday the last night of the $15 Kohl's Cash per $50 I made my online order..nothing I wanted was sold-out..

Target a few weeks ago did that with Red Card Holders and the ever elusive Nintendo NES. They had it online a few weeks ago and it went live like at 10 am. I tried to get it and said sold-out within ONE minute of going live online. I re-tried  it as I couldn't imagine and it allowed me to check-out and it was delivered. I was holding my breath as my Son-in-law has been chasing that darn game system for a year. I read thousands of complaints that people were online early waiting and didn't get one. Not sure how I was one of the few lucky ones..why now a year later Nintendo still cannot meet the demand of that item?

This year the only thing I had issue with was Victoria Secret's and their $10 Shirts that went live at 5 PM...they were gone within minutes. I was putting a couple in my cart and it would pop up sold-out.

My biggest pet peeve is these manufactures who release just enough of an item to make it high in demand..like last year it was Hatchimals. I was able to get one at Amazon for reg price.. it just showed up one day as being available..but people were selling them on Facebook Yard Sale Sites as well as Ebay for double the price. The year before it was the Frozen large dolls. This year it is Fingerlings Monkey. Friday Amazon was releasing each color it seemed every hour. I was able to get one..it was one per person..I need two..so if I don't get it ..will hold it. Years ago it was the Cabbage Patch kids craze.

I don't understand the inability to meet demand.   

Respected Contributor

Currently I think twice about whether I want to face crowds at the malls. However, at least I can actually see the situation- lots of people, stock in stacks or gone, etc. With that I know what I can or should do. On the computer I don’t know if it’s my abilities, computer glitch, item issue, etc. About 10 years ago my family joined the long line at BB to buy a computer at 5 in the morning. My son was in awe of number of people. We were given numbers and told our computer might or might not be available for us. People in line were friendly, making small talk, wishing each other well in our pursuits. Man behind us got last one. Again, I relate better to being able to touch, hear and see!
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

DD & I debated whether we should go the online route or shop in person.

After some discussion, we decided to shop in person and we got everything we wanted at a great price.   No waiting on delivery.

I've never been a big online shopper, I am surrounded by great retail.

We had a great time shopping.   Standing in the check out lines in a couple of places wasn't fun but we took turns.     Some of the stores limited the number of shoppers inside, which was great.    I had to wait maybe 5 minutes in line outside but when one came out, one was allowed in.   And once inside, shopping was a breeze.   Not crowded and short check out lines.   

Most of the stores were very well organized and prepared for the sales.

And being in the south, even though one of  our malls made national news for a fight, everyone was very polite and patient.

Every time I used my debit card, I held my breath.   I figured all the sales would over load the system or there would be some other failure.   I did get one decline, but after trying again, my purchase went through.

I get back home to double check my bank balance and there was a message on the home page something about certain transactions were impacted and are now recorded.   Seems my bank wasn't ready for Black Friday!   My account was fine.

@software

You were smart going to the store and now you have your gifts in hand....and just think about the online shoppers wondering if they will get their gifts unbroken....and then hoping they will be delivered in a resonable time and by Christmas. Afterall, with more people ordering on line, these delivery companies can't keep up with the demand. And you can expect mistakes, one of my friends got someone else's gift delivered to her.....she paid for Federal Express in order to be sure the child the gift was meant for had it in time for Christmas....

If people want to order for Christmas online they should do it around October 1st ....JMHO! 

We decided as a group to limit our giving so Ive already purchased a couple of gifts....and 3 gift cards and I'm done...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@software I think if you don't get out into the hustle and bustle once in awhile that you are missing out.It is kind of like watching a football game on tv or actually being at the stadium.The crowd feeds on each other's excitement and the noise and action are heightened.BF shoppers have their game plan and strategies to get to all of the stores where the deals are scored..Some people win and some lose but the rush and defeat can be seen and felt...You can stand in cashier lines proud of your shopping skills with all of the other victorious shoppers or you can be frustrated at home by all of the internet problems and overloads.Black Friday is an event...you can choose to be a player or side lined.

@dex

And then there's the delivery problems ....the companies just can't keep up with the demand....cross your fingers and hope the gifts arrive in time for you to get them, wrap thm, give them......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Surely people will be back to work and school on Mon.

When me and hubbo will get out.

@SharkE

You have a good plan!!!  When I had a large list of recipients and gifts to buy for....I would wait until Tuesday morning, get at the mall/shoppin center when the stores opened and it was like I had the whole mall/center to myself....toward late afternoon the shoppers started piling in, but I left with all my shopping done............

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

After some discussion, we decided to shop in person and we got everything we wanted at a great price.   No waiting on delivery.

We had a great time shopping.   Standing in the check out lines in a couple of places wasn't fun but we took turns.     Some of the stores limited the number of shoppers inside, which was great.    I had to wait maybe 5 minutes in line outside but when one came out, one was allowed in.   And once inside, shopping was a breeze.   Not crowded and short check out lines.   

And being in the south, even though one of  our malls made national news for a fight, everyone was very polite and patient.

Every time I used my debit card, I held my breath.   I figured all the sales would over load the system or there would be some other failure.   I did get one decline, but after trying again, my purchase went through.

I get back home to double check my bank balance and there was a message on the home page something about certain transactions were impacted and are now recorded.   Seems my bank wasn't ready for Black Friday!   My account was fine.

@software

You were smart going to the store and now you have your gifts in hand....and just think about the online shoppers wondering if they will get their gifts unbroken....and then hoping they will be delivered in a resonable time and by Christmas. Afterall, with more people ordering on line, these delivery companies can't keep up with the demand. And you can expect mistakes, one of my friends got someone else's gift delivered to her.....she paid for Federal Express in order to be sure the child the gift was meant for had it in time for Christmas....

If people want to order for Christmas online they should do it around October 1st ....JMHO! 

We decided as a group to limit our giving so Ive already purchased a couple of gifts....and 3 gift cards and I'm done...........

Not in time for Christmas? My Black Friday items already had shipping labels printed the same day and are currently in the posession of the USPS and will be delivered this week. Even my Cyber Monday purchases are scheduled for delivery Thursday. I bought some stuff on ebay last week and it was delivered today.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

I'm a knitter and ordered yarn online on Nov 22, with estimated delivery today.   I got a notice my package is in Atlanta, I'm outside Birmingham, and the delivery date now is unknown.   What the heck happened???   Black Friday happened.

It's not for a gift but I can't stand the hassle of online shopping.   Besides what you mentioned, I think you have a better chance of being hacked online.