Honored Contributor

Yesterday I was putting in order papers that I've copied things on. Got rid of old journals that kept info of different things for me. I was able to shred and just really clear out a lot of paper not needed. I do have a box of my files, under the desk area.

Then it hit me. From all the stuff I've copied off the computer, for use "someday", I have to file them, box them, and find room to store them. Usually once a lot is stored it never sees the light of day again. That's when it hit me.

A lot of us have cleared things out in the last year or two. For me, I have to stop "collecting" all this stuff. I try to save things in my favorites and end up going in and cleaning up those things.

I do have 2 papers posted in my little office area (I'll always be an office-type person) that tell you the papers to hold on to for life or for how long.

Just wondering if others are doing this too and how they are or have broken their saving of paper habit. I just have to shred or toss more and not print off what I really don't have to. Confession over. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cutting down use of paper

I shredded up a storm a couple years ago when I moved off an acreage into town. The pic is just the first pass. Just about burned that poor little shredder up. My weakness is that I tear out all these recipes that sound so delicious. I have a ton of them and don't think I have ever tried one! I cook for one and rarely have anyone over for dinner. When I do, I always make things that I have made before that I know will turn out.

For other types of paper, I was able to cut those piles down but not lose the content by either scanning with my Neat organizer or flatbed. 

image.jpg

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You've got it, I had 1 full bag, but I do intend to keep up with it. That is a mind-blowing picture there!!! I totally understand "recipes" part of it, had that too.

You make me feel better now. LOL

Honored Contributor

ABSOLUTELY we are doing the same thing.  Last fall we took 7 boxes of things to the bank on shred day at our bank!  It was great!  They had a big truck and dumped the stuff in for us, it went buzz buzz and it was GONE!  We went to lunch to celebrate! 

Feels good doesn't it?

Honored Contributor

I know what you all mean. My DH saves every bill for anything he has ever paid, I keep telling him once paid they need to be shredded and put in the trash but he insists he may need them in the future so into a file they go. Since he pays everything at the bank's  online site all payments are n their memory bank but he just won't let go of those papers.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Yesterday I was putting in order papers that I've copied things on. Got rid of old journals that kept info of different things for me. I was able to shred and just really clear out a lot of paper not needed. I do have a box of my files, under the desk area.

Then it hit me. From all the stuff I've copied off the computer, for use "someday", I have to file them, box them, and find room to store them. Usually once a lot is stored it never sees the light of day again. That's when it hit me.

A lot of us have cleared things out in the last year or two. For me, I have to stop "collecting" all this stuff. I try to save things in my favorites and end up going in and cleaning up those things.

I do have 2 papers posted in my little office area (I'll always be an office-type person) that tell you the papers to hold on to for life or for how long.

Just wondering if others are doing this too and how they are or have broken their saving of paper habit. I just have to shred or toss more and not print off what I really don't have to. Confession over. LOL

I do, I do. I have gone thru stuff and shredded a lot, but it is still difficult for me to get rid of my paper. I used to save magazines that had nifty articles on home improvement, gardening, etc. I wised up and only keep the articles now and recycle the remainder of the magazine. I have thought about the Neat scanner, especially for things like warranties and manuals.

I didn't grow up in the technical era, and even though I keep my recipes on the computer, I still am old school and have to print it out when I go to make it. There is comfort in paper.

We do most of our banking and bill paying on line, and one of my biggest fear is what something happens to my computer and I lose everything.

I often marvel at my parents. Somehow they knew what important documents to save. I still have some things they kept and it is neat to look back at things. Like the hospital bill when my sister was born.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.  Getting rid of paper clutter is what I've been doing the last week. 

Geez Maggie Mack, you really collected quite a bit. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust