Trusted Contributor

Re: Cut up watermelon vs 1/2 or 1/ 4 of a watermelon

I can totally understand going for the cut up watermelon if the price is better.

Personally I prefer buying a whole melon in season and cutting it.  Anytime I have eaten the cut up fruit from the grocery store it doesn't look or taste as fresh.  I also have a big family so that whole melon cut up doesn't last long at all.

Respected Contributor

Seedless mini melon was 4.99 today.  Washed in my sink with Dawn then cut it up .  Would have been about four of the 7.99 precut containers.  Definitely better to buy fresh and cut up.  

Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox - Be very careful when buying pre-cut fruit.  This morning on the GMA crawler @ the bottom of the screen it said that salmonella has been detected in precut fruit in 10 states and people have become ill.  I'll stick with whole fruit, washed very well and cut it myself just to be safe.

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL 

Thanks for the info, what I buy is cut in the store and does not arrive pre cut

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@I am still oxox - Be very careful when buying pre-cut fruit.  This morning on the GMA crawler @ the bottom of the screen it said that salmonella has been detected in precut fruit in 10 states and people have become ill.  I'll stick with whole fruit, washed very well and cut it myself just to be safe.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@WORKING GAL 

Thanks for the info, what I buy is cut in the store and does not arrive pre cut

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@I am still oxox I wouldn't trust even what they are cutting up in your store, to be honest.

I SCRUB my melons before I slice through the rind.  Because any dirt or contaminants will carry through to your delicious bites if the outside of the fruit is dirty.

Not worth the risk, just for something 'prepared' for you.

Don't believe they wash the melons really well before they go cutting them up in to pieces.  But you could ask them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@I am still oxox I wouldn't trust even what they are cutting up in your store, to be honest.

I SCRUB my melons before I slice through the rind.  Because any dirt or contaminants will carry through to your delicious bites if the outside of the fruit is dirty.

Not worth the risk, just for something 'prepared' for you.

Don't believe they wash the melons really well before they go cutting them up in to pieces.  But you could ask them.

That is exactly why when I get a glass of water in a restaurant,  I will always ask them to leave out the lemon slice. ewww