Honored Contributor

Re: Cut up watermelon vs 1/2 or 1/ 4 of a watermelon

I  made the best watermellon salad ,for our scripture class potluck. It is a Mary Berry recipe ,and there wasn't anything left. They ate every bit

Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed 

I have never found pre cut fruit sweeter

@fitfuninformed wrote:

Not to burst anyone's bubble here but a tip from the wise:  Fresh cut up fruit bowls, containers, etc. are almost 99% certain to have had sugar added.  The fruit is cut on the premises usually but thereafter sprinkled with ordinary table sugar.  It is undetectable to the human eye and most people always say "the pre-cut or cut-up is always consistently sweeter."   Well, there you go.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I occasionally buy watermelon cut up in the off season but when the crops are in I buy whole. The best watermelons came from my grandpa’s farm.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The pre-cut fruit in the places where I sho is not sprinkled with sugar that's silliest thing I ever heard of.  I doubt that it's done anywhere.   Good grief, anyone with taste buds would immediately know.  Ick.   Especially someone like me who hasn't used table sugar in 40 years.  

Honored Contributor

They do put preservatives on the precut fruit to keep it fresh looking and last longer.

Respected Contributor

We don't buy pre-cut fruit or vegetables.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@SilleeMeeI am sure you are right, and I am careful where I buy it from.

Where do you buy them?

Respected Contributor

Purchase the cut up pieces since I am the only person in my home and watermelon will go bad if I have too much on hand....

Honored Contributor

I keep seeing on TV that pre-cut fruit is the source of some of the food poisoning stories going around lately.  I always thought the stores cut up the fruit, but evidently it gets shipped in from some central supplier.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I keep seeing on TV thatpree-cut fruit is the source of some of the food poisoning stories going around lately.  I always thought the stores cut up the fruit, but evidently it gets shipped in from some central supplier.

It usually goes something like this:

(Using watermelon for an example)

The watermelon is harvested, and taken to a processing plant, where it is cut and packaged, then it is shipped to stores.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.