Super Contributor

Re: Cut the Cable...a lot (but not completely)

Cut my cable totally.   Got 3 rokus.....for all three tv's.  I have never  watched as much tv in my life.  My  cable (Uverse/ATT) was up to almost $200.  Internet alone is $60.  Love it!  When I had cable, I only watched maybe 5 channnels.  

Super Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@dexwrote:

I always call and ask for specials or promotions.The downside is that you have to stay on top and keep calling before the special pricing endsTo renegotiate.I am seriously wondering if I should cancel and just use the internet.My son got rid of his cable and purchased the extra speed internet.He says he doesn't regret at all.I wonder what will happen to all of the shopping chanels as young people don't seem to want to pay for cable.

@dex. I get all the shopping channels except Evine on UHF using a cheap interior antenna.  I also get NBC, CBS, ABC and a couple of PBS channels, channels that show old sitcoms, and a bunch of Spanish and religious channels....50 in all.  You don't need cable or satellite to have TV.  I get all the movies I want on Netflix $7.95/mo, and Amazon Video with my Prime subscription.  I also use Sling to stream some favorite "cable" channels for $39/mo.  I'm loving my new, cheaper TV.

It depends on where you live. The antenna doesn’t pick anything but ABC and Spanish stations at my house. And no live shows on streaming services where I live 

Honored Contributor

I ran across this news article this evening and thought some might find it helpful.

https://news360.com/article/441399857

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@aprildreamswrote:

Cut my cable totally.   Got 3 rokus.....for all three tv's.  I have never  watched as much tv in my life.  My  cable (Uverse/ATT) was up to almost $200.  Internet alone is $60.  Love it!  When I had cable, I only watched maybe 5 channnels.  

@aprildreams.  Don't you also love having something interesting or entertaining to watch in the middle of the night?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1wrote:

geez I must be getting a great deal with Spectrum.  Our community manager negotiated a flat fee of $55 (paid in my HOA fees) it includes "high speed Internet, 1 HD box and basic cable.  Then they offered a "gold" package includes ALL premium & sports channels and 1 HD recordable box, phone  for $87/month.  My bill prior to these changes was approx. $187/month.  So I have about $40 savings a month.  

Now only if  our newspaper was affordable!!!  I know many people no longer get daily home delivery of newspaper but my spouse reads it from front to back everyday.  Last years renewal was $151/year for home delivery - this year its $245.29  why???

Added to bill was $49.76 fuel charge + $44.53 tax & carrier fee!!! 

So guess that's a trade-off!!

@homedecor1

Maybe thats why all these newspapers are going out of business......

How would you like to pay that and yet my paper was seldom delivered....numerous calls, emails, and letters sent snail mail yielded no better results, athough they kept promising better results....Several years agon.I canceled the whole darn thing.....although I do miss reading certain columnists but not having all that frustration in dealing with them is a blessing!.....

And heaven help the person that calls me trying to get me to subscribe to the paper again....I give them an earful about my awful experience and awful service!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Our carrier in 7 years has only missed 2 deliveries (except for hurricane) and it's here every AM right at the driveway by 5am.  In fact, sometimes spouse meets him on his way to his daily walk. (He's a early riser😮Not me!)

Spouse thinks if he doesn't renew they'll call with better deal...told him get ready to hike up to Speedway everyday that's not happening😉.  

I think every home here gets home delivery even if it's only 1" thick!!!

Honored Contributor

One time when I was leaving my home I saw the carrier, he went across the street and up the block, I dont know why he couldnt have dropped my paper off and THEN went across the street....I think he put me last on his route after he finished delivering to everyone else....One Sunday he came and it was after 12PM and I was sweeping the sidewalk in front of my house and he handed me my paper and said "good morning"....I told him it wasn't morning anymore it was afternoon---and the paper should have been delivered in the early morning....he shrugged shoulders and left ....the next day I called and canceled the paper because of his lacidasical attitude I know Id never get my paper or would get it late.........I think the reason I didnt get my paper delivered hardly at all was because he counted papers he needed wrong and ran out and I was at the end of the route ....!!!! ( when my brother was a teenager he had a paper route for awhile so I knew the drill).  And if you called and said the paper wasn't delivered his Manager had to deliver it.....but if I didnt read the paper in the morning....its too late and I had moved on to other activities so I called and asked for a credit..........................

What was funny despite the bad service near Christmas time he included a self addressed envelope and card for a tip....I laughed out loud and threw it away............So if you do have good carriers TIP THEM WELL!!...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@aprildreamswrote:

@aprildreams

I dont know where you live, but where I do Uverse/ATT is the most expensive!!!!  One of my friends just moved and got tired of poor service with Spectrum and things not working properly so she decided to go to Uverse /ATT.....and she was shocked because her bill was almost $250.....and for some odd reason her brand new TV in her living room didnt work right....she didnt get all the channels, only the Tv in her bedroom worked properly....so she had to call them back a couple times in order for them to get it installed right..............Woman Frustrated  My sister has Spectrum with all the bells and whistles and she doesnt pay near that price...

our COA negotiated with a small cable carrier and we get a discounted price.....I pay $139 for the premier pack and the extra ultra sports tier....their service is excellent too...........

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@dexwrote:

I always call and ask for specials or promotions.The downside is that you have to stay on top and keep calling before the special pricing endsTo renegotiate.I am seriously wondering if I should cancel and just use the internet.My son got rid of his cable and purchased the extra speed internet.He says he doesn't regret at all.I wonder what will happen to all of the shopping chanels as young people don't seem to want to pay for cable.

@dex. I get all the shopping channels except Evine on UHF using a cheap interior antenna.  I also get NBC, CBS, ABC and a couple of PBS channels, channels that show old sitcoms, and a bunch of Spanish and religious channels....50 in all.  You don't need cable or satellite to have TV.  I get all the movies I want on Netflix $7.95/mo, and Amazon Video with my Prime subscription.  I also use Sling to stream some favorite "cable" channels for $39/mo.  I'm loving my new, cheaper TV.

How do you know what and when programs are on without cable guide?

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

@dex  They probably can't afford to pay for cable.  The rates are outrageous, and climb all of the time, so we have to call to get the monthly reduced every year, sometimes sooner.