Honored Contributor

Re: Cut the Cable...a lot (but not completely)

@Jordan2, You are right about Spectrum's CS.  They couldn't care less if you threaten to cancel. Their attitude is bye, bye.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was interesting about cord cutting?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/03/08/cutting-cord-could-cost-much-cable/988941...

Here's a price guide:

https://www.theverge.com/a/online-tv-stream-price-guide

I know some people that tried it and ended up going back to cable...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

We threatened to cancel our service many times to try and have them lower our bill - it was outrageous, and they really don't care if you cancel. I tried the haggling, finagaling - they just don't care - plain & simple.

Finally, we took the leap and got rid of them - we now have Roku, Hulu and others. Do I miss some regular TV? Sure I do, but not enough to pay them close to $200 a month.

Perhaps if they would stop running a commercial every 10 minutes, they could lower their prices for the consumer. Someone is making a ton of money for them to afford all those ads.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt.   I'd have Prime even if I didn't look at their movies; I've had it for several years.  I really like their movies.  They have a lot of documentaries and travelogues which I often enjoy in lieu of some stupid movie.  I haven't gotten a "normal" phone/satellite bill since I cut the cord so I don't know what the charges will be.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I cut the cord. I have only Spectrum’s internet service for $70 a month. I bought a Roku and I subscribed to PLayStation VUE. You do not need a PlayStation console. They have different packages and I pay 55a month for all the channels I had on cable except Smithsonian channel which I can watch online. I was paying over 200 a month. I access the PSVUE through theRoku 

you can can google and read about PS Vue and they offer a free trial period to try it out. Very pleased with the service and no contract!

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

About  a year ago, I called Comcast cs because I was having technical trouble and they corrected the problem.  At the end of the call, the rep asked if I had any other problems and off the top of my head, I said "well, the  bill  is pretty expensive".  I was really not complaining but she said "I can help with that".  She reviewed my package and there was a special going on (there's always a special offer) that let her give me a couple of extra channels and it reduced my bill by $25 a month.  I ended up getting more....for less.  I think there's so much competition that it pays to call them periodically to see there are any special deals or offers out there. 

This is exactly why I love Comcast.   Their CS is excellent and over the 16 we've had them, I've always hung up the phone with a better deal:  lower rate/more stuff.    CS is so well trained, polite and professional.   I could do commercials for them.  Big fan.   

Respected Contributor

@dsmalltreasureswrote:

@dex @excpa I too had an outrageous Spectrum cable bill. Every time I looked up they were adding services to my bill and I got tired of having to call them, wait on hold to finally speak to a rep and have to defend why I wanted the service removed. Add that to increase in pricing I was paying $205 a month for rubbish television viewing. After a lot of research we decided to cancel cable. I purchased a 2-pack Roku media streamer from HSN for $99 and now have what Spectrum offered plus hundreds more television and movie channels, including all the shopping channels without any addition charge.  The $99 is a one time fee and we have never been happier. No more paying for channels dominated by rubbish so called 'reality shows'. Of course if you like the reality type shows they can be found on Roku. 

Roku streamers can be purchased in mulitple packs or can just buy one for $49. And remember it is a one time purchase. My cable bill was $205 per month. I upgraded my internet and now pay $69 a month to receive the same cable channels Spectrum offers plus hundreds more channels, including shopping and movie channels. 

I have been using Roku since June and love it. My only regret is not having done it sooner. 

What about live sports?  I watch mostly live sports.

Respected Contributor

@makeup addict

I see on their website that you can have up to 5 devices hooked up. 

Does that mean that two people can watch different programs in different rooms at the same time?   I can watch ESPN in one room while DH watches MSNBC in another at the same time?

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal yes, everyone can watch something different. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

geez I must be getting a great deal with Spectrum.  Our community manager negotiated a flat fee of $55 (paid in my HOA fees) it includes "high speed Internet, 1 HD box and basic cable.  Then they offered a "gold" package includes ALL premium & sports channels and 1 HD recordable box, phone  for $87/month.  My bill prior to these changes was approx. $187/month.  So I have about $40 savings a month.  

Now only if  our newspaper was affordable!!!  I know many people no longer get daily home delivery of newspaper but my spouse reads it from front to back everyday.  Last years renewal was $151/year for home delivery - this year its $245.29  why???

Added to bill was $49.76 fuel charge + $44.53 tax & carrier fee!!! 

So guess that's a trade-off!!