Super Contributor

Re: Cut the Cable...a lot (but not completely)

I just had a conversation with Comcast this morning after receiving a bill for $202!!! I have high speed Internet and basic cable in two rooms....included in the package was voicemail which we never used. I told them that when my contract was up in 2 months I was considering making a switch.

After offering multiple packages with stuff we would not use, I finally got the monthly cost to $140! Now I am going t work on our cell phones!

Super Contributor

Don’t even get me started on Spectrum! The Friday before the Super Bowl, the took away CBS, NBC, and Fox. 

They said it was because of Northwest communications not negotiating prices. 

I was able to watch SB on Roku, but no Olympics, This is Us, etc.

I would cancel, but do not really want a contract. Live in a smaller town and the streaming services do not offer any live channels. Antennas do not work. It is so frustrating! 

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

I always call and ask for specials or promotions.The downside is that you have to stay on top and keep calling before the special pricing endsTo renegotiate.I am seriously wondering if I should cancel and just use the internet.My son got rid of his cable and purchased the extra speed internet.He says he doesn't regret at all.I wonder what will happen to all of the shopping chanels as young people don't seem to want to pay for cable.

@dex. I get all the shopping channels except Evine on UHF using a cheap interior antenna.  I also get NBC, CBS, ABC and a couple of PBS channels, channels that show old sitcoms, and a bunch of Spanish and religious channels....50 in all.  You don't need cable or satellite to have TV.  I get all the movies I want on Netflix $7.95/mo, and Amazon Video with my Prime subscription.  I also use Sling to stream some favorite "cable" channels for $39/mo.  I'm loving my new, cheaper TV.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkrwrote:

I don't have Spectrum but my parents do (they formerly had TWC) and have looked into it a bit for them.  I think you can avoid a box - with its $11 monthly fee - by putting a Roku (or similar) device on each non-Smart TV.  Then you can stream your service to each TV via Spectrum's app.  Rokus atart at around $30, though you might have a better experience (less delay etc) with one that's slightly more expensive, say $50.

@ValuSkr.  I'm not sure you plan would work.  Once I disconnected my satellite service, my access to their channels also ended and I had both a Roku and a Fire Stick.  I get some of my favorite cable channels by subscribing to Sling, which streams them.  That costs me about $39/mo.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I was only referring to the need with Spectrum to have a box on every TV (if it's not a smart TV).   If you're a Spectrum subscriber, you can avoid the box - and its monthly fee, which can be as much as $11 per TV/box - by putting a Roku on each TV and streaming your channels.  You will still pay for Spectrum service but won't have to pay for the box rental.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every time I have called my cable company (now Spectrum) to find out how I can lower my bill, they usually wind up telling me I should bundle all of my services (tele, internet and cable) and they could lower my bill.

Well, I have my internet and cable with Sprectrum, but not my telephone (landline) which I want to keep with AT&T.

I tell them I DON'T WANT TO BUNDLE, so what can you do for me.  The answer is usually, nothing.

My current bill fromSpectrum is about $200.  Outrageous!

I think it's time for another call to them.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@ValuSkrwrote:

I don't have Spectrum but my parents do (they formerly had TWC) and have looked into it a bit for them.  I think you can avoid a box - with its $11 monthly fee - by putting a Roku (or similar) device on each non-Smart TV.  Then you can stream your service to each TV via Spectrum's app.  Rokus atart at around $30, though you might have a better experience (less delay etc) with one that's slightly more expensive, say $50.

@ValuSkr.  I'm not sure you plan would work.  Once I disconnected my satellite service, my access to their channels also ended and I had both a Roku and a Fire Stick.  I get some of my favorite cable channels by subscribing to Sling, which streams them.  That costs me about $39/mo.

@Kachina624

so you pay $7.95 plus $39....and is it $99 for prime....and what about your internet?   One thing I want to know is do they still charge you those municpal surcharges/city surchages fees etc in your service packages?  Id save $52 right there...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I pay $250 a month for landline, internet and cable tv, from Comcast---I am seriously thinking of switching to a streaming service, but not being that tech savy, have not yet. Would rather burn that money!!! Been with comcast for over 25 years and you would think that I could get a long time customer break---but the last time I asked, got told if I buy and pay $500 for a house alarm system, then I would get $50 a month reduced----of course it would cost me $50 a month to pay for the equipment and the monthly fee for the alarm !!!!  Was shocked and amazed!!! Guess I sounded like I was stupid and couldn't add and subtract----sheesh!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkrwrote:

@ValuSkr, yes you can. That's how we got rid of $11.00 of our monthly charge. We had a box on our bedroom tv but that tv is a ROKU tv so we really didn't need it.  My DH had downloaded the Spectrum app when we bought the tv but it never dawned on us to get rid of the box. 

The only drawback is I hate the Roku remote.  It has no numbers on it so you have to go to the guide and scroll up and down.  There is no previous or back and forth feature on it either.  So if I want to flip back and forth between stations, it's a hassle.

I'm not sure if there are more advanced Roku remotes or not?

Honored Contributor

@dsmalltreasureswrote:

@dex @excpa I too had an outrageous Spectrum cable bill. Every time I looked up they were adding services to my bill and I got tired of having to call them, wait on hold to finally speak to a rep and have to defend why I wanted the service removed. Add that to increase in pricing I was paying $205 a month for rubbish television viewing. After a lot of research we decided to cancel cable. I purchased a 2-pack Roku media streamer from HSN for $99 and now have what Spectrum offered plus hundreds more television and movie channels, including all the shopping channels without any addition charge.  The $99 is a one time fee and we have never been happier. No more paying for channels dominated by rubbish so called 'reality shows'. Of course if you like the reality type shows they can be found on Roku. 

Roku streamers can be purchased in mulitple packs or can just buy one for $49. And remember it is a one time purchase. My cable bill was $205 per month. I upgraded my internet and now pay $69 a month to receive the same cable channels Spectrum offers plus hundreds more channels, including shopping and movie channels. 

I have been using Roku since June and love it. My only regret is not having done it sooner. 

I don't understand how you are doing this?  We gave thought to getting rid of cable and just doing ROKU but in order to get cable channels, we had to have the Spectrum App and the only way the Spectrum App works is to subscribe to cable. 

I don't understand how you are getting everything Spectrum offered without the app?