Super Contributor

Cut the Cable...a lot (but not completely)

Got my third cable bill with a jump in cost, so bill was about $12 higher than before.  They keep nickel and diming me and I had enough.  So, I got on chat line.  Big mistake.  For spectrum.   While I had only intended to opt out of the little excesses they kept adding (like a "sports package" for $2.50 and other options, I wound up being so incensed that I wanted to cancel the whole thing.  One of the things that really bothered me was the rep's insistence that I had to call to "migrate" my billing for a lower rate and that basic cable (for which I was being charged $10)  was not available.  If I called, according to the rep, someone would discuss all the wonderful "bundles" (also known as Bait & Switch) that could be mine.  I terminated the chat and sat wondering why this whole experience seemed so familiar.

Frontier!  Same experience!  Small additions without asking,  billing corrections for one month and reverting back the next month, double talk from reps...  So, just as I gave up my Frontier land-line, I decided to vastly reduce my spectrum interaction.  After wading through the automated menu, I finally came to the option that would allow me to reduce services.  Still not easy.  I like the internet service (for now).

Eventually I got a person who understood what I was wanting to do and, apparently, got it done, with a credit of almost $80 I opted to apply to my next bill.  My bill will go from close to $200/month to under $125.  Still outrageous but a big improvement.

Then I signed up for the free 7 day trial of Sling.  I don't understand Sling at all!  I think I'm going to subscribe to brit-box and ignore the rest of the world.   

In the immortal words of Vinnie Barbarino  "I'm so confused."

Honored Contributor

Re: Cut the Cable...a lot (but not completely)

I always call and ask for specials or promotions.The downside is that you have to stay on top and keep calling before the special pricing endsTo renegotiate.I am seriously wondering if I should cancel and just use the internet.My son got rid of his cable and purchased the extra speed internet.He says he doesn't regret at all.I wonder what will happen to all of the shopping chanels as young people don't seem to want to pay for cable.

Respected Contributor

My co-op complex has always had a bulk rate contract with TWC for better than the private rates. I am extremely concerned about the warning from management that our rates are about to jump sky high with Spectrum as Spectrum will not negotiate in good faith.

I'm thinking of cutting the cord altogether, despite not knowing the first thing about streaming options. I don't like being manipulated like that and at the mercy of a gluttonous multi-billion dollar company. I'm that annoyed. Before doing so, I'll visit their Customer Service offices in my city to see how they can accommodate me. If they can't, I fear I will be cutting my nose to spite my face, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We received our cable bill last week and our bundle went up $20.00 making our bill just under $195.00.  We are with TWC and still had a grandfathered in TWC package although they are now Spectrum.

I have no desire to look into doing an antenna, HULU, Roku, Netflix, etc.   I did look into keeping our internet with Spectrum and getting Dish but the overall savings was negligible and not worht the hassle.

I ended up moving to a Spectrum package that is a step down from what we had.  We went from 200 stations to 125 but I'm only upset over the loss of 1 of those channels and that's TCM.  Our cost dropped almost $47.00 a month making this change.    

We still had to keep our landline.  To drop it would have made our bill $10.00 a month higher.  LOL

Honored Contributor

i enjoy television a lot.....prefer it to going to the movies.....so i am willing to spend money on that as an entertainment expense. i NEED a fast internet so i cannot compromise on that. i still like having a landline also and have had our number for MANY years now.

you have to stay on top of your bill. i call every 6 to 12 months to make sure i am getting the best deal and the best pricing. they dont want to lose me as a customer, i spend too much for comcast. LOL

anytime i call i pretty much get a discount in some way or another.....and usually something "free" to try for a specific period of time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

i enjoy television a lot.....prefer it to going to the movies.....so i am willing to spend money on that as an entertainment expense. i NEED a fast internet so i cannot compromise on that. i still like having a landline also and have had our number for MANY years now.

you have to stay on top of your bill. i call every 6 to 12 months to make sure i am getting the best deal and the best pricing. they dont want to lose me as a customer, i spend too much for comcast. LOL

anytime i call i pretty much get a discount in some way or another.....and usually something "free" to try for a specific period of time.

@sunshine45 while I hate Comcast the only thing I would really like to wrangle out of them is free HD and maybe a free DVR.  Do you have any tips or key words that get them to shake loose things that I used to get for free with AT&T?  

Honored Contributor

@momtochloewrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@sunshine45 while I hate Comcast the only thing I would really like to wrangle out of them is free HD and maybe a free DVR.  Do you have any tips or key words that get them to shake loose things that I used to get for free with AT&T?  

@momtochloe

sometimes if you tell them you are thinking about switching services they will find you a plan that would work at the same price but with more features. you may even find a plan with someone else that has a DVR and mention it. when we  upgraded to the X1 platform and got the voice remotes, the man who did all the installing gave us an extra DVR at no cost.....so we currently have 2 but pay for 1.

you can also ask them if they have a better plan, for the same price or a lower price that includes a DVR as part of the service.

sometimes you have to stay on the line with them for a while to find the best deal and sometimes you do have to say you agree to a full year or two full years at the price they are giving you.

honestly, the most expensive part of the entire deal for us are the boxes and the taxes/fees. they add quite a bit to our bill. with 5 people in the home, everyone needs their own tv and own boxes......then there are the "common areas."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @sunshine45 this is most helpful as I am in the process of sending back one of their boxes as I don't use that TV very often so maybe I can negotiate getting at least HD and maybe a few other upgrades.  It was easier in my previous home as they went head to head with AT&T but here they know they are the only game in town.

Honored Contributor

I don't have Spectrum but my parents do (they formerly had TWC) and have looked into it a bit for them.  I think you can avoid a box - with its $11 monthly fee - by putting a Roku (or similar) device on each non-Smart TV.  Then you can stream your service to each TV via Spectrum's app.  Rokus atart at around $30, though you might have a better experience (less delay etc) with one that's slightly more expensive, say $50.

Valued Contributor

We live in the country and only have one choice for our cable.  We are bundled with cable, landline phone and internet.  Our bill jumped up $46.00 in one month.  I called to complain and was told we had been on a special for 2 years and it was up.  Well I lowered the speed, got rid of several channels and got the bill down to $184.00, still a ridiculous price for what we have.  Very next day we get a letter from cable company that prices are increasing March 1st.  We're looking into Direct TV but I'm really uninformed about this.