Valued Contributor

I know this subject has been discussed on this board but I just had to tell all of you about my grandson. Yesterday was his party. My husband and I got there early and I gave him our card. He was trying to read the card and I said are you having trouble reading the card and he said I have trouble reading cursive. I nearly fell over. I said don't you write cursive and he said not really. That's all I have to say. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Did he have a nice birthday party?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Almost everything we read now is typed.  Almost everything the younger generation writes is typed.  It doesn't make sense for teachers to spend 30 minutes a day teaching cursive handwriting.  It DOES make sense for teachers to spend that time teaching keyboarding skills.  

Sincerely,

A teacher

Trusted Contributor

How old is your grandson?

Valued Contributor

My grand son had a great graduation party and he is 13.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Almost everything we read now is typed.  Almost everything the younger generation writes is typed.  It doesn't make sense for teachers to spend 30 minutes a day teaching cursive handwriting.  It DOES make sense for teachers to spend that time teaching keyboarding skills.  

Sincerely,

A teacher

As a parent, grandparent and former teacher,  I disagree with not teaching cursive.(They should at least be able to write their signature) However, perhaps you are right because it seems this younger generation has no use for sending out hand written anything, especially Thank You notes!

Recipeholic - hope your grandson had a  very happy birthday!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Cursive Again

[ Edited ]

If he's interested maybe you could teach him the basics.  

Hope he he had a great birthday!

Honored Contributor

Keyboarding skills are easily learned but won't mean what a hand written thank you note will. Although, it may provide future jobs for translators.

Esteemed Contributor

I never learned cursive and did just fine.  Not a useful skill.

Valued Contributor

I told my grandson I would help him with his thank you notes. I will address the envelopes and I'll see how he does with signing them. I also want him to know that people cared enough to come to his party and bring a gift he should be kind enough to thank them.