Valued Contributor
Am I the only one who finds the most ridiculous part of this scenario is that a Spanish instructor is teaching a unit on healthy living? How about teaching Spanish? I studied Spanish for two years in middle school, four in high school and one in college where the goal was to learn to converse in Spanish. Never in all the years of using my Spanish have I ever needed to exchange healthy living tips with someone.
And, yes, this student's eating disorder likely makes her obsess about being "healthy" even though the illness morphs what healthy truly is. She does need to be offered a substitute for this unit, however that is designed. Triggering her eating disorder could ultimately kill her.
Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the most ridiculous part of this scenario is that a Spanish instructor is teaching a unit on healthy living? How about teaching Spanish? I studied Spanish for two years in middle school, four in high school and one in college where the goal was to learn to converse in Spanish. Never in all the years of using my Spanish have I ever needed to exchange healthy living tips with someone.
And, yes, this student's eating disorder likely makes her obsess about being "healthy" even though the illness morphs what healthy truly is. She does need to be offered a substitute for this unit, however that is designed. Triggering her eating disorder could ultimately kill her.

@lynne6was7 

We teach it all, but it depends on the level.  Most districts follow the AP Themes and Contexts from College Board.  We teach language in context by using authentic resources about the topics. 

When I teach this unit, we make cultural comparisons by using the "mi plato" resources from the the USDA recommendations, and then we look at what is healthy in other countries, like the Mediterranean diet.

Mrs. Rivera's website

En Espanol

Billetes: Pirámide de la Dieta Mediterránea

Honored Contributor
I agree because it IS impossible.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Curriculum for One

[ Edited ]

Another retired teacher chiming in here...

I think this student is over-stepping the 504 plan with her refusal.  And taking a friend along with her in refusing is truly over-stepping.  I agree with others that a staffing meeting (involving the teacher, parents, student, special ed staff, administration) is needed here to reach an accommodation that will satisfy the special needs of the student.  Taking it to the school board and the possibility of dumping the entire unit seems to be  jumping several steps ahead of what is necessary.

Eating disorders are serious, but high school students can become very good at manipulating the system to leverage the school to get what they want.