Honored Contributor

Re: Curious; why does a doctor's office need the following info......

My response would also be that I prefer not to answer invasive questions. Any number of reasons can be given for the inquiries, perhaps, but the whole thing smacks of "1984" to me.

It's inevitable that the bureaucratic state gets to amass great amounts of information on us-- but in my own puny way, I don't want to aid in the process.  I often refuse to specify "race" on forms as well.  To me race is an artificial construct, and I identify with the human race, period....

Honored Contributor

data mining

Honored Contributor

I'd bet 50 cents that one of the reasons you like your doctor is that he speaks a language you understand!  When you have different languages there's a bigger chance of misunderstandings.  I'd definitely want my langyage preference to be noted.

And if my religion asked me to avoid any procedures common in modern medicine, I'd want my doctor to know just as much as I'd want her to know my allergies -  maybe even more.

I do not know the research on health issues by education or income levels, but I'm fairly certain that info actually exists -  and if your doctor has studied that info, knowing about the patients could well be helpful.

But as many already said -  you do not have to reveal any of that should you care not to.  For me, none of that info feels anywhere hear as invasive as when they ask for my Social Security Number!  That I really do not like to share.

Respected Contributor

Next time they ask for "Race", I'm going to answer Klingon. 

I'm sure I can expect a psychiatric referral. :-)

Esteemed Contributor

It is not going to get any better.  I have noticed that my doctor of many years spends more time on his laptop writing down what is going on... step by step... just about everything I say.  If I left the room he probably would never notice. 

As for the front desk, more and more UPDATES of information. l doubt they even read it all. l have added a few things and adjusted a few things just for fun.  Never been called down on it.  LOL  I even made my pet Chihuahua a contact person along with my hubby.

Trusted Contributor

These questions have become quite common in the last few years.  It's an effort by the medical practice to give quality care to all.  Realize that English isn't the first language for everyone who lives in America.

I'm just making a educated guess on some of these.

Education:  Will you understand what is being explained to you, have you been exposed to some of the topics being discussed with you before?  Same goes for your spouse.  Level of education also gives a hint to the type of lifestyle, and risks you might be exposed to.

Language:  If English isn't your first languages, is there another you understand better?  Will you be able to fully understand instructions you're given, will you understand how to take your meds?  Will you be able to fully convey all your concerns to your physician?

Income:  Will you be able to afford the treatment plans your doctor prescribes, or do they need to contact a social worker to see if any help is available?  Will you be able to afford the meds prescribed, and will you take them as prescribed?  Some people try to stretch prescriptions out, to make the last.  Some don't pick them up at all.  Then when desired results are not seen, they don't admit this to the doc.  To give you the best care, he needs to know if this is the issue, or is the problem medical.  

Religion:  The staff just wants to respect your religious beliefs.  Some religions don't believe in certain treatments.  There is a religion that doesn't believe in receiving blood donations is one example.  You're doctor may ask if you want to observe that belief, if you're unable to speak, and it may save your life.  Even though the doctor may not believe the same thing you do, they have to respect your beliefs.

To me, these questions show a medical staff that wants to provide a high quality care.  It's not that they are nosey, they are trying to respect all patients.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know about having to know education, but your occupation tells them if you sit at a desk all day, stare at a computer, breathe harmful chemicals, etc.  I don't see that question as intrusive.

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  What did they say when you asked them???

Honored Contributor

Are you on Medicare?

I was in the doctor's office last week and a social worker was helping another patient fill out the questions to get the "free" Medicare exam.    The questions were ridiculous.    I'll have to do the same next year when I'm eligible.   

@SahmIam

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Next time they ask for "Race", I'm going to answer Klingon. 

I'm sure I can expect a psychiatric referral. :-)

@SaRina

Well, another alternative for "race" would be:   10K  Woman LOL