Honored Contributor

Curious; why does a doctor's office need the following info......

* My level of education, my degrees, my occupation

* My spouce's level of education, degrees and occupation

* What languages I speak and which language I prefer to speak

* My household income

* My religion of choice and do I practice other religions

and a few other personal questions regarding my children and their info.

What, exactly, does ANY of this have to do with my receiving medical care? I was discussing this with my in-laws and a friend and all agreed it isn't but it's all about gathering personal info for a database. But for what? I thought doctors and hospitals couldn't sell that info. 

I LOVE this doc and will continue to see him but he's part of one of the most well known/famous hospitals in the world. Kinda bugs me that they would even ask these type of questions. 

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Curious; why does a doctor's office need the following info......

I would just say I would rather not answer, or, just cross out those questions with a big X.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

IMO, the language has to do with contacting you in your preferred/native language for your medical care.  My allergist, for example, has free translation services available, so they have notices showing that they offer these services and in which languages.

The religion has to do with last rites, or any sort of religious counsel you might seek if you were at the end of your life.

My two cents, for what they're worth... Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

Language should be obvious, especially the one you prefer to speak IE your native tongue or the one you're most fluent in. 

Religion is also obvious to me, it can influence medical choices people make and can be important if you might want any pastoral care if you're hospitalized. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

You don't have to give that information. Some offices say that right in the paperwork. If not just refuse to answer it. All they care about is your insurance info. They should care about the health info, but I always wonder how many doctors ever read it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

The only thing on the list that I think may help a Dr is your occupation.  I think though they could get around that question by asking about your stress or physical level.  Actually, I wonder if the Dr actually looks at those questions.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

* My level of education, my degrees, my occupation

* My spouce's level of education, degrees and occupation

* What languages I speak and which language I prefer to speak

* My household income

* My religion of choice and do I practice other religions

and a few other personal questions regarding my children and their info.

What, exactly, does ANY of this have to do with my receiving medical care? I was discussing this with my in-laws and a friend and all agreed it isn't but it's all about gathering personal info for a database. But for what? I thought doctors and hospitals couldn't sell that info. 

I LOVE this doc and will continue to see him but he's part of one of the most well known/famous hospitals in the world. Kinda bugs me that they would even ask these type of questions. 

Thoughts?

@SahmIam thinking back, this reminds me of the first time a store asked me for my zip code . . . what does that matter to them is the transaction is successfully processed?  Now I realize many (too many in my opinion) are collecting data and for me I have stopped answering questions that I think are none of their business (especially in a situation when i am paying them).

Honored Contributor

Main 1 they look at "who is your insurance provider"? LOL

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm just making a guess.  Realize they give the same sheet to all new patients, and not everyone in America is from America.  No matter where they are from, they deserve to be understood, and receive quality care.  From what I've noticed that last ten years, or so, these questions are quite common.  It's an effort by the entire staff to give everyone quality care.

Level of education:  Might be to find out how well you'll understand information they are giving you.  Same for your spouse.

What language you speak, and prefer to speak is simple:  They want to make sure you are fully understanding what they are saying.  To make sure you will understand instructions you're given, and understand how to take your meds.  It's also important that you will be able to convey any concerns you have to the staff.

Income:  will you be able to afford the treatment plans recommended, or will cost make it difficult to comply.  Will you be able to pick the meds up that the doctor prescribes.  Many people don't even bother, or they don't take as prescribed because they can't afford to by them that often, they try to stretch them out.  In some cases doctors can find resources to help patients afford meds.  They are aware of manufacturers that have plans for people who otherwise couldn't afford certain meds.

Religion:  They want to respect your religious views.  There's a religion that doesn't believe in blood transfusions, is one example.  Patients are not always able to voice things when situations arise.

Honored Contributor

I don't answer any question I don't want to answer and have no problem telling anyone that I choose not to do it.