Respected Contributor

Re: Curious --- what are schools like where you are?

Hi @Mellie32.   In my county the public school system is online.  The Catholic school system in the same county went to in person classes totally but as of this week will be moving to online learning as well.  They have had several schools with teachers, students, staff contracting the virus or needing to quarantine because they had a close contact.

The 2 largest universities in my state opened to in person classes with requirements for consistent  & regular testing of students.  They also planned the semester to cancel fall break and have classes all the way through until right before Thanksgiving.  Classes will end at those universities before Thanksgiving and finals will be administered online the week after Thanksgiving.  

So far, both those universities with their aggressive implementation of guidelines and requiring frequent testing of students along with mandatory quarantine for those with possible exposures has precluded an outbreak of high numbers in the student population.  I might add that both universities also implemented a strict code of student conduct for covid activity and both have suspended students for violating the code. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

Late yesterday it was announced that NYC public schools would again revert to 100% remote learning.   This was triggered by the overall NYC rolling average positivity rate hitting the 3% level used as the guiding metric.

There had been some discussion that the rates within the school system should be the guiding metric, as testing has shown 0.5% and lower rates. 

Unfortunately,  nearly 70,000 students still lack access to electronic devices and/or internet connections. 

Trusted Contributor

I am a teacher in a K-2 building on Long Island.

We have been full day, five days a week since the very beginning.  We have only had one closure since school started and that was last week.

I live in a neighboring town and my daughters attend a K-5 building.  They started off as hybrid (remote learning on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday) and went to school Thursday and Friday.  They alternated Wednesdays with "Group A", but the calendar was way off and they lost most Wednesdays they were supposed to go in.

They ended up going back full time in early October.  I was nervous for them, but the truth is, they are MUCH happier in school - masks, barriers, social distancing, and all.

NYC schools are now, but most LI schools don't have any plans to unless Cuomo says they must.  As long as it's safe, I'd rather be in school than at home.  Realistically, I'm just not sure how long we'll be able to hold on for.

Respected Contributor

There is no easy answer here. Parents have the option of on line or four days of in school and Friday only at Home. Parents of Special needs children and large families and working parents  could not cope all on line. I have a Famiy in the neighborhood with five  school age children in a Habitat for Humanity Home. We have alot if low income people in the county.

The School Board made these decsions with parent input. In school classrooms in the High School are at half capacity,  about 15 students. The School issued masks for all. 

It has worked o.k. for us but a neighboring small K12 school went virtual for the rest of the month as had too many teachers out. There will be no snow days needed to close. 

My Stepdaughter's two teenage boys went to live with their Father this summer through a custody hearing. Her one son is failing as no one is monitoring his schooling and although close to graduating is not completing classes. She sees them on weekends and has two young ones  with one who is attending Kindergarten.

This is in Wisconsin. Headstarts and Day cares are open. 

Esteemed Contributor

Our neighbor kids tell me they are in school 2 days a week/remote (or something else) for 3.

Now, I ask you! What's the point of this?!

We (community college) have been out ever since spring break 2020, and they plan to keep us remote next semester, too.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Late yesterday it was announced that NYC public schools would again revert to 100% remote learning.   This was triggered by the overall NYC rolling average positivity rate hitting the 3% level used as the guiding metric.

There had been some discussion that the rates within the school system should be the guiding metric, as testing has shown 0.5% and lower rates. 

Unfortunately,  nearly 70,000 students still lack access to electronic devices and/or internet connections. 

@Johnnyeager  - I never realized how many students are without electronic devices and internet.  That's so awful.  I feel bad for these students. 

Esteemed Contributor

Many of these students are in homeless shelters.

The City has been attempting to install internet service in those buildings.