Honored Contributor

Re: Curious about taking down Christmas decor...

I only put up a fresh wreath at the front door. Put it out with the trash in March when I put up an artificial spring-themed wreath.

Esteemed Contributor

For some of my neighbors. I believe, they decorate to show off or it is a competition for who has the most beautiful tree and decor. They get so worked up that they are sick of it before Christmas. If it was really about the holiday, it would not be such a "hardship" to look at it for a few days after Christmas. JMO

Esteemed Contributor

I know someone who took their stuff down on the 26th. I can't imagine taking it down the day after Christmas. IF you are so anxious to get it down, why bother putting it up.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I wonder if the people who are "sick" of Xmas five minutes after they open their gifts and wolf down the ham are the same people who put their Xmas decorations up the day after Halloween and hit the malls on Thanksgiving day. I think some people really don't celebrate any holiday they just rush through them so they can get to the next one. I'm more of a traditionalist and I really do relax and enjoy every minute of this glorius season. I just love Christmas and since I do, I want it to last as long as possible, I don't want to get it over with as soon as possible. So, it's still Christmas until January 6th and sometimes, we leave the tree up until the middle of January because the house seems so empty without Christmas lights.

Honored Contributor

It's still the holiday season to me. I can relax and enjoy all the decorations now.
Respected Contributor

On 12/29/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I know someone who took their stuff down on the 26th. I can't imagine taking it down the day after Christmas. IF you are so anxious to get it down, why bother putting it up.

Indeed....the couple upstairs from us dragged their Christmas tree and their wreath out to the dumpster Christmas night....no lie. We heard banging and hubby went to look and they were tossing out the tree and wreath. I thought that they were probably going on vacation but that was not the case.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine leaving it up beyond the 26th. What's the big deal? I enjoy it when the tree is up and other decorations are out and then I'm ready to take it down. For me, Christmas is the 25th. I don't do the 12 days, etc. so when the 26th comes, Christmas is over for me. I can't imagine leaving it up well into January or even February as some people do. I can't imagine that as much as you and others can't imagine putting it all away on the 26th.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/29/2014 gidgetgoeshawaiian said:

I can't imagine leaving it up beyond the 26th. What's the big deal? I enjoy it when the tree is up and other decorations are out and then I'm ready to take it down. For me, Christmas is the 25th. I don't do the 12 days, etc. so when the 26th comes, Christmas is over for me. I can't imagine leaving it up well into January or even February as some people do. I can't imagine that as much as you and others can't imagine putting it all away on the 26th.

There certainly is no big deal and everyone is free to do what they wish. Most of the people I know including myself that enjoy Christmas love to have it up as long as possible. The house feels empty after I take it down. The people I know that take it down the day after, didn't want to put it up in the first place but they feel pressured to. If I felt I had to have it down the day after and didn't enjoy having it up, I wouldn't bother to put it up in the first place. I like to have it up for the holiday season and the holiday season isn't over on the 26th. If you like to take it down early good for you. We are all here expressing opinions. Just opinions.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I don't put my tree up until after Thanksgiving. I can see why some people are sick of it by the time Christmas is over
Honored Contributor

I definitely agree that if they don't want to put it all up in the first place, if it IS drudgery to them, then they shouldn't bother. What's the point in that? For me, I just like to take it down on the 26th.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?