Honored Contributor

Re: Cupro. Take some lousy recycled cellulose from cotton and recycle it. Then charge more for it.

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Bottom line is, people can choose to spend their money as they see fit.

I'm sure that you buy things that others would never dream of buying @Mindy D .

I feel we are free to say if we like,or dislike a fabric.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cupro. Take some lousy recycled cellulose from cotton and recycle it. Then charge more for it.

@Mindy D- it appears you started a new thread based on the "Price Gouging"thread in Fashion regarding Side Stitch.

All vendors set their prices.  Sometimes, it is based on the fabric they are using.  Susan Graver has about three versions of polyester.  A sell point for almost always the fabrics and how they are made for almost all of the clothing vendors.

I would say anyone buying a Side Stitch shirt liked it just like a shirt from Kim Graval, Women in Control etc.

Honored Contributor

I get that you don't like this fabric and I guess people who choose to wear it will look *schmatty* or whatever the word your grandmother used. 

I've never heard of this fabrication, or the line Side Stitch.

So silk may sound sexy and sensuous and you want your man wearing silky shirts over his big muscular arms....but really it's the product of boiled worms.

That image is gag worthy to me, I realize not to many though. 

Same for soft, so, so soft lamb's leather.  Or warm, fluffy down and even most wool products.

Honored Contributor

LOL i have never seen such HATE towards a fabric and its price by one person!

by the way, you can find much better photos of cupro clothing than some of the ones featured in this thread.

for those of you who are interested and/or love the material......ENJOY! Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It looks droopy and floppy to me. When I look at pictures of clothing with this fabric, they all look very unstructured and like the fabric has very little weight or body to it. Also something about it looked familiar to me. I thought maybe it's just that it looks like parachute fabric. 

But actually, it looks like that shiny inexpensive jacket lining material. Because it is. And it's a form of rayon which has been around for eons.

"You may know cupro by its trade name, Bemberg, which is a popular fabric for lining. Cupro (or cupromonium) is the name given to rayon fibers made through a process that uses copper and ammonium. Its slinkiness and slight sheen make it a great alternative to silk."

"Sleek and silky smooth, Mood presents this luminous bemberg viscose lining in a beige coloration. Viscose fabrics are made from man-made cellulose fibers and were introduced to replicate silk fabrics. "Bemberg Viscose" is another name for rayon and embodies the same characteristics as rayon fabrics. Rayon fabrics are moisture-absorbent, breathable, and comfortable to wear. Rayon/viscose linings are also preferable amongst designers because they conduct no static electricity. This particular, extremely fluid fabric is ideal for the lining of dresses, tops, suits, jackets and more. Note that this material is semi-sheer and will not pill."

For the record, I do not hate Cupro. I just don't really care to wear it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I looked in my crystal ball and it told me that sometime in the future there will be no more 100% any type of fabric.  Farm land is shrinking in all countries daily and they are most likely growing editable crops for a growing world population. (growing cotton), and also less cattle and sheep farms for leather, suede, lambs wool and on and on.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D   Thank you for posting the pictures of the clothing.  As I said in my previous post I could not give an opinion on the fabric because I hadn't seen it.  Well based on the pictures you posted I will not be seeing it ever. As far as denim shirts, I want cotton not soft or flowing.  I bought a model top last year and didn't care for that fabric either. I'm not considering price just the look of the fabric. 

Now I have had some beautiful good silk dresses and tops over the years and loved them but it doesn't look like it could hold a candle to real silk.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Bottom line is, people can choose to spend their money as they see fit.

I'm sure that you buy things that others would never dream of buying @Mindy D .

@Anonymous032819 @This is just my take on the humor I find in the marketing strategies. I made no mention about individual freedom to choose. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Mindy D- it appears you started a new thread based on the "Price Gouging"thread in Fashion regarding Side Stitch.

All vendors set their prices.  Sometimes, it is based on the fabric they are using.  Susan Graver has about three versions of polyester.  A sell point for almost always the fabrics and how they are made for almost all of the clothing vendors.

I would say anyone buying a Side Stitch shirt liked it just like a shirt from Kim Graval, Women in Control etc.

@qbetzforreal @Sorry, but your assumption is wrong. I don't recall ever reading the thread you mention. I was inspired to write when I took a look at the shirt and it's price online. I just had to laugh at the creative marketing strategies. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I get that you don't like this fabric and I guess people who choose to wear it will look *schmatty* or whatever the word your grandmother used. 

I've never heard of this fabrication, or the line Side Stitch.

So silk may sound sexy and sensuous and you want your man wearing silky shirts over his big muscular arms....but really it's the product of boiled worms.

That image is gag worthy to me, I realize not to many though. 

Same for soft, so, so soft lamb's leather.  Or warm, fluffy down and even most wool products.

@Lucky Charm @Your points are well taken. I don't disagree with you that we all fall for some marketing strategies to sell us on things and to attach particular values to things.  As for the natural fibers, at least those fabrics have never been cheap to produce though and they last.  I understand that there are similarities between natural linen made from flax and cotton fibers as both being plant derived and made of cellulose in the same way as Cupro and other types of rayon are. 

A word usage note: People won't look schmatty. People will look like they are wearing schmattas (old tattered clothing, rags) when they wear them.