Honored Contributor

Re: Cupro. Take some lousy recycled cellulose from cotton and recycle it. Then charge more for it.

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@GenXmuse 

Eat them? Talk about the ultimate in recyling!  Your reply gave me a good giggle - you're not only correct, you're dang funny too!

Aww, shucks! There is a new Rx drug out for weight loss and it's main component is cellulose. It's supposed to work as a temporary bariatric. It's everywhere!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cupro. Take some lousy recycled cellulose from cotton and recycle it. Then charge more for it.

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

We want natural fibers not processed with chemicals, but now we want this?  I get lost with all of this nonsense.

Like I said somewhere else today, it is more perception than "fact."  Whatever that is. . . as the Prince said. Woman Frustrated

@Sooner @It is processed with chemicals.

"Cupro  fabric is recycled, which appeals to our environmentally-minded sensibilities. At the same time, however, cuprammonium rayon production involves large quantities of copper, ammonia, and caustic soda, all three of which can be toxic when they aren’t disposed of properly. What’s more, cupro fibers must be bathed in a variety of toxic chemicals before they harden, which exposes the environment to further harm."

"While cupro isn’t strictly synthetic, it’s hardly a natural fiber either. After being exposed to ammonia, copper, and caustic soda, the chemical structure of the cellulose in cotton or any other plant product changes dramatically, which makes cupro yet another example of a Chinese rayon derivative marketed as a natural or recycled fiber."

"Cuprammonium rayon is produced explicitly for its low cost. Vast quantities of waste cellulose can be acquired for very little money, and by mixing this cellulose with a few basic elements, it’s possible to create entirely new cellulose fibers from scratch."

Quoted from seaport.  com "What is Cupro Fabric: Properties, How it's Made and Where" by Boris Hodakel, November 7, 2020

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

MindyD, I too have questioned the prices of Side Stitch.  Then I have been told how wonderful the fabric is and how the process to manufacture it is so special.  Then I have been told I have no business complaining because no one is forcing me to purchase the Side Stitch line.  Yada, yada, yada.  However, the shirts just look like denim shirts to me.  Denim shirts that other vendors on QVC sell for much lower prices.  Shirts that brick and mortar stores sell for even less than QVC.  So, I am not a believer in the so-called CUPRO fabric either.  So, a certain poster is correct, no one is forcing me to buy from the line. I will not purchase.   I just think it is way over-priced and it makes me think it is a sham.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maximillian wrote:

@Mindy D 

MindyD, I too have questioned the prices of Side Stitch.  Then I have been told how wonderful the fabric is and how the process to manufacture it is so special.  Then I have been told I have no business complaining because no one is forcing me to purchase the Side Stitch line.  Yada, yada, yada.  However, the shirts just look like denim shirts to me.  Denim shirts that other vendors on QVC sell for much lower prices.  Shirts that brick and mortar stores sell for even less than QVC.  So, I am not a believer in the so-called CUPRO fabric either.  So, a certain poster is correct, no one is forcing me to buy from the line. I will not purchase.   I just think it is way over-priced and it makes me think it is a sham.  

@maximillian @My OP was a bit tongue in cheek. I was really intending to comment on the marketing of the fabric. I see some humor in how we consumers are the target of manipulative tactics. They call it "drapey" while I call it "droopy." They call it "silky" while I call it "shiny." Now they're marketing it as a vegan silk. Now they are calling it sustainable. Whatever marketing strategies work to sell products, I guess.

92C8A8A2-0EF6-46C6-A41D-9A235E098997.jpeg0DA8B5EC-E006-438A-8E30-88E77987A562.jpeg640FB652-2BBA-41D4-914A-8C5A9C637B4A.jpegB7FADF0D-9D01-457D-9F60-930B52504EDD.jpegE2CAF699-9635-429A-9843-068F407C23F0.jpegThe bottom line though is that it is an inexpensive fabric to produce so the profit margin is high. It's mainly made in China but was originally created in Japan. By the way, anyone wanting a reasonably priced shirt in this fabric should look at Macy's online. They have one for about $50. This fabrication is not new either, it's been around since the late 1800's. 

Top olive shirt is at Macy's in the $50 range. At least this price is not ridiculous. 

Navy is on eBay and looks like your shirt will look after you wash it a couple of times. 

Gold dress and terra cotta jumpsuit have that DRAPEY look which my grand mother would call schmattas.

Bottom copper dress looks like the phony silk it is. The right marketing team could call it Vegan Silk Dress and sell it for $500. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1DC580EE-B578-45E1-A183-545757FBA82B.jpeg

Here's the pocket of a men's Cupro shirt originally retailing on this site for $675. They cut the price in half and it's on sale now for $337.00

Honored Contributor

5597DEB1-1E7B-4623-8C58-C4A5E01E5D11.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Bottom line for me, is it looks cheap, ugly and sloppy. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

Bottom line for me, is it looks cheap, ugly and sloppy. 

@GenXmuse @You took the words right out of my mouth. Oh, I almost forgot another marketing term you have reminded me of; instead of "sloppy" they call it "slouchy."

Honored Contributor

That looks just really bad, in the pictures, just ugly.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Bottom line is, people can choose to spend their money as they see fit.

I'm sure that you buy things that others would never dream of buying @Mindy D .

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.