Valued Contributor

Re: Cuba Gooding, Jr. surrendered to police

@Bri369 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

He denies groping her, but surrendered to police.  He wants to do the right thing and let justice play out. 

Seems kind of strange to surrender to police if you say you're innocent.

If the video footage exonerates him, then he will get sympathy from being wrongfully accused and will look honorable for going to the police. She will be ruined.

The police must think there is something that implicates him on those tapes...

Perhaps. Or maybe they haven’t even seen the footage and they’re just going on her word.

Why wouldn't the police have watched and analyzed the footage?  That makes no sense.

I don’t know the way the law works, but I would guess that the police’s opinion of what is on the tape is not what justifies an arrest as much as the alleged victim’s statement. It is probably up to the court to judge the video evidence.

Honored Contributor

I always wonder  if the same thing would have happened if the person wasn't a celebrity (being arrested).

If I were to grab some mans "junk" in a bar, would he call the cops and have me arrested vs if some famous chick did it?  Would he be after the 15 minutes of fame or a pay-off by going after the famous chick?

If some guy grabbed my boob in a bar, every person in that bar as well as that guy would know what happened ASAP. Do I need to arrest him? I don't think so. If he grabbed the boob of my underage daughter at some function or event, THAT would be a different story and I would call the cops. 

I want to hear both sides and know the "why" before I pass judgement.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

He denies groping her, but surrendered to police.  He wants to do the right thing and let justice play out. 

If you do not surrender to the police when they have a warrant out for you, they will come and get you and lead you away in handcuffs...innocent or not, you don't have much choice.

it's better to cooperate than to run, which he did.

Honored Contributor

Let's not forget the obvious.  He is a person of color, and police matters can sometimes deteriorate rapidly if there isn't total obedience from the start.

A tough one to judge.  

Esteemed Contributor

A person can make a complaint and have you arrested/brought in for questioning with just their word. The police will then investigate and turn over to the prosecutor.  Making false complaints and having a person falsely arrested is also a crime.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

Even if it’s as plain as day in the video that he touched her, he wouldn’t get more than a slap on the wrist and a fine in criminal court. The worst part for him would be that a guilty conviction in criminal court would mean she’d have a solid case to sue him in civil court, and he would end up having to pay her big bucks.

Esteemed Contributor

He said (video on TMZ) he’s surrendering because he believes in the system, the tape will show what happened. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

She claims he groped her.  I'm sure it was an upscale bar and there were cameras all over so we'll soon know if anything really did happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I don't know what world you live in but in my world if he's innocent and it was a public place with lots of cameras....surrendering and letting the thing play itself out is exactly the right thing to do.  

Honored Contributor

They said today on The Talk there is another woman claiming he did same to her 11 years ago.