Honored Contributor

Re: Cruel Comments on Facebook

@Cakers3 wrote:

This is why I do not read comments under news stories. 

Blatant racist, homophobic, ignorant, insulting, etc. comments on those types of media are obvious.

But here?  Sometimes it's all in perception and past history.  You can be offended because you are disagreed with, whether politely or not.  Some posters are just not able to handle diverse opinions.

Sometimes the dissent is not presented in a kindly way, either.  Or a poster is not as adept at presenting a pov in a more mature manner or in a crystal clear writing style.

I see remarks made about some of my posts but not directly to me;  I just chalk it up to a person's refusal to let by-gones be by-gones.  *shrug*

I own my stuff and really try not to get caught up in needless arguing anymore.

I have enough to deal with in RL. 

By and large, the great majority of the time, I look at what a poster said in a post, i.e. their opinion on that subject. I might violently disagree with them in three threads, and totally agree with them in three others, and heart them. I am able to deal with the post rather than the poster with only a few exceptions.

The trouble and bad feelings perpetuate when people can't let a "slight" or disagreement go, and passive-aggressively go into topics where you are posting and p**p on you personally, either unrelated to or only mininally related to the topic. They just don't like you, and will take every opportunity to express that, forever after. THAT kwap, I haven't got time for. It's juvenile. And yes, I may then respond at the inappropriateness and chldishness and wonder who is harrassing who.

I rarely comment in a public social media post, but when I occasionally do I'm prepared for the potential barrage. If it screws up my Notifications enough I turn them off for that entry so I don't see it any more. I've said my piece and don't really care what others think.

Paragraphs #3 and #4? Spot on.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

My former employer required that everyone open a Facebook account......so we could "all be friends."     I retired, and haven't been on Facebook since.

What a stupid idea that was😜

I would never have done a dumb thing like that, I can't understand how any adult would do such a thing.   I can hear my mother say "if someone told you to jump off a roof, would you??"   

Respected Contributor

If the Facebook post is from someone I know, I read the comments. Thankfully, no one in my group uses the comment section to fight or write rude remarks. I've learned to skip the comments related to posts that appear as ads or "sites I might be interested in." I don't need aggravation from folks I don't know. And to further make my Facebook experience a happy one, I do block from my feed shared posts from certain sites that a few of my "friends" favor, usually "news" articles or memes. I avoid political ranting and still get to enjoy seeing their families and activities.

I never bothered to get much of my news online till I got a smartphone, with the notification feature linking me to articles I would have otherwise not seen, and from there to the comments. I had no idea how many vicious, rude, and uninformed comments were casually made in the most offensive language possible to any and every story. Some of the worst were related to football games. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

It amazes me that people will fight with complete strangers over the dumbest things.

It's not dumb when the things are hurtful to others.  As you are aware, there have been cases of people harming themselves because of what was posted about them on social media.

perhaps if someone, anyone, a stranger or friend had stepped in, it might not have happened.

We are also aware from history that when society allows people will ill intentions to gain power, it can lead to catastrophic consequences.  Disagreeing with someone or calling them out for their bad or mean actions is not fighting.  It is called standing up for what is right and I am guilty of it.  In fact, I own it.

Yes, I am aware. I'm not talking about standing up to injustices. 

Honored Contributor

my new neighbors pulled that on me a couple weeks ago. I talked with the husband all of 10 minutes 1 time. 

so what do i get terrible posting on facebook. it was on my small town facebook web page. people ask for help finding carpenters, where to hold dances and such. when I saw this post I was just dumbfounded about why this lady who I didn't even know existed would post such vile things.

you get all kinds of people in this world and many are not good or the nicest;

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandma petes wrote:

I sometimes just shake my head when I read some of the posts people put on Facebook. Our local news station posted a story about a woman that was hit and killed in our local Costco parking lot. Well, it started a firestorm of some of the most sarcastic and mean spirited comments I've ever read on a public forum. I won't share those comments because they shouldn't be given anymore publicity. I replied that this poor woman's family and friends are grieving and that this was not the time nor the place to have a war of words. Someone replied to my post and called me an SJW..meaning Social Justice Warrior. The definition in short means that when someone calls you this, it's an insult. On the other hand, I don't mind at all. If speaking out for those that can't speak for themselves makes me a SJW...then I consider it a compliment. It is truly beyond my comprehension how people can post such hateful things, especially during tragic events. I know it's Freedom of Speech, but just because you have the right, doesn't make it right.

@grandma petes- hello my friend. I am going to google now to see if I can find out about the incident because I don't understand why there was a war of words for someone who died in a Costco parking lot.

I've never heard the term Social Justice Warrior, but I'd love to be called one, and like you, I'd take it as a compliment as well. 

I know what a good heart you have, and I'd be proud to be in your corner anytime.

Hugs to you, and I hope you and grandpa petes are doing well Heart  xoxox

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting, I don't take anything a stranger says or calls me online to heart, life is too short.  

Respected Contributor

Just stay away from social media. I know it sounds strange, but most of what's there is junk. I don't miss it. My friends and family know where to find me. I don't want to put myself out there. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala Hi Sunny!!! So good to hear from you. Grandpa Petes is doing awesome. All of the prayers and well wishes were answered. He officially beat Cancer's butt!!! We are so very blessed. Thank you for always being in my corner. Although we've never officially met, I feel the friendship you send and appreciate it more than you know.

The Facebook post was on our local news station KHQ. There was a nurse that tried to step in and help the woman that was hit, but witnesses said the Costco management wouldn't allow her to help. Sadly, some posters were hateful towards Costco, and then, as it happens so often on social media, it just snowballed into an ugly war of words. Some posters wrote hateful remarks about the driver of the vehicle that hit the woman, and on and on. I just replied that this was not the time nor the place to be writing such awful things. That poor woman's family might see it and their grief is already insurmountable, they only need to hear that people are praying for them. That's when someone posted, calling me a Social Justice Warrior. The definition I read made it sound like it was derogatory, but I take it as a compliment. I always say if you can't be kind with your words, then just scroll past and don't reply.

Anyway Sunny....thank you again so very much. Your kindness has always been uplifting, especially when the going was a little rough. Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

Hugs,

Grandma Petes

Respected Contributor

Social media is so vast, full of the many personalities that make up our world.  I've learned ato accept the bad with the good, none are going away anytime soon.  And people do change with time and insight.  Maybe the kids of the toxic ones will see how not to behave online.

The comments below a lot of media articles are often about needing to be smarter than.  There's an ego monster that has invaded people's personalities. On the other hand, many of the comments are incredibly witty and spot on.  

If the social media attackers could shut out the noise that stirs their worst emotions, they'd be making a big step toward a better society. Odd that they perpetuate what makes society toxic and would be offended to be held responsible.