Honored Contributor

Re: Cruel Comments on Facebook

[ Edited ]

I sometimes read comments on FB or Instagram, or after news articles and just shake my head at what people post.

I believe a lot of people respond the way they do because they are trying to get a rise out of people.  Others respond the way they do because they truly are idiots.  Either way, nothing can be gained and nothing will be changed by responding to them.  Not to mention, I flat refuse to get into an argument on any social media with complete strangers.   

A few months back I was looking at Instagram and a celeb had posted photos of herself and friends going to an event.  I glanced down the comments and some were just horribly mean and then others were calling out the mean comments by being equally mean, if not meaner.  I couldn't believe people would actually get on social media and argue with strangers over something so ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Right or wrong in this day and age you just have to  learn to ignore it.  It won't change.  Kids need to be taught to get beyond bullying because I don't see how you can stop it.  Somehow people have to learn to take the sting out of it.  I don't see any other alternative.  You can't wish it away.

We can't blame "kids."  We've all seen it, daily, and it's coming from adults.

I agree.  And those adults are then passing it on to their children.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Right or wrong in this day and age you just have to  learn to ignore it.  It won't change.  Kids need to be taught to get beyond bullying because I don't see how you can stop it.  Somehow people have to learn to take the sting out of it.  I don't see any other alternative.  You can't wish it away.

We can't blame "kids."  We've all seen it, daily, and it's coming from adults.

I agree.  And those adults are then passing it on to their children.

I totally agree.  Those kids are being taught that this is the norm. 

If we dont teach our kids differently how are things ever going to change.

Respected Contributor

I agree that some of the comments on FB and other sources are unbelievably bizarre, rude, crude and cruel. I tend to not read that stuff because I truly feel those people are emotionally and socially damaged.

However. Don't forget that when you decry "social media" that you are participating in social media by posting here. Think about it before you decide to start or participate in a thread that is flaying a host, vendor or celebrity.  You've just become one of " those" people.

Honored Contributor

This is why I do not read comments under news stories. 

Blatant racist, homophobic, ignorant, insulting, etc. comments on those types of media are obvious.

But here?  Sometimes it's all in perception and past history.  You can be offended because you are disagreed with, whether politely or not.  Some posters are just not able to handle diverse opinions.

Sometimes the dissent is not presented in a kindly way, either.  Or a poster is not as adept at presenting a pov in a more mature manner or in a crystal clear writing style.

I see remarks made about some of my posts but not directly to me;  I just chalk it up to a person's refusal to let by-gones be by-gones.  *shrug*

I own my stuff and really try not to get caught up in needless arguing anymore.

I have enough to deal with in RL. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I don't take FB that seriously.  I would think that SJW is a compliment and I probably would have said "thank you, I try to do the right thing".  But, in reality, I never ever answer anyone who responds negatively or insults me on FB.  I'm an adult, I don't get drawn into that foolishness.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

My former employer required that everyone open a Facebook account......so we could "all be friends."     I retired, and haven't been on Facebook since.

What a stupid idea that was😜

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

It amazes me that people will fight with complete strangers over the dumbest things.

It's not dumb when the things are hurtful to others.  As you are aware, there have been cases of people harming themselves because of what was posted about them on social media.

perhaps if someone, anyone, a stranger or friend had stepped in, it might not have happened.

We are also aware from history that when society allows people will ill intentions to gain power, it can lead to catastrophic consequences.  Disagreeing with someone or calling them out for their bad or mean actions is not fighting.  It is called standing up for what is right and I am guilty of it.  In fact, I own it.

Honored Contributor

Being a Social Justice Warrior is a compliment.  I'm all about social justice, equality, protecting lives, and taking care of the vulnerable.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It is so easy for people to just print what pops into their empty heads on social media.  They post things that they would never say out loud and in person.

Have they forgotten that there are real live people how can read what they post?

i have been called out for defending others on this forum.  I don't do Facebook or Twitter and refuse to.

Just the other day, I drank a Snapple Ice Tea.  The inner lid always has a fact listed.  My lid said that ALL Twitter comments were archived in the Library of Congress.  I didn't know that and I am sure most other people don't know that either. That is scary.

If I get called names or looked down on for standing up to what is right, then so be it.

@grandma petes Wear your new title proudly.

In today's environment, people will indeed say these things out loud.  We see it every day on the news.  I work in a public location and I see it there every day.