Honored Contributor

Re: Cruel Comments on Facebook

This is not a facebook or twitter issue alone. Most newssites (TV, radio, magazines and newspapers) have comment sections and some of the back and forth responses are not only mean but bizarre as well. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It is so easy for people to just print what pops into their empty heads on social media.  They post things that they would never say out loud and in person.

Have they forgotten that there are real live people how can read what they post?

i have been called out for defending others on this forum.  I don't do Facebook or Twitter and refuse to.

Just the other day, I drank a Snapple Ice Tea.  The inner lid always has a fact listed.  My lid said that ALL Twitter comments were archived in the Library of Congress.  I didn't know that and I am sure most other people don't know that either. That is scary.

If I get called names or looked down on for standing up to what is right, then so be it.

@grandma petes Wear your new title proudly.

@Carmie, I'm sure you are correct about most people not knowing about the archive.  This is a link to the Library of Congress page about the donation.  Note that it is dated April 15, 2010.  Twitter tweets is just one of many things collected by the LOC from the Internet.

IMO the LOC is one of the most interesting, informative and educational sites on the Internet.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-10-081/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My former employer required that everyone open a Facebook account......so we could "all be friends."     I retired, and haven't been on Facebook since.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Sad commentary on the times we live in.
Honored Contributor

How insensitive are people to make comments like you mentioned?  I only participate in these boards, but I can tell from comments put out on yahoo stories, that ours is very civil.

Super Contributor

I have seen similar sick comments after news stories on various sites, say where someone gets killed and a bunch of people post Darwin Award comments.  I am also shocked by what people will post on social media pages - some of the comments on QVC host pages are sad.

I have been on these boards many years even in previous incarnations and before the 2010 date in my profile.  These used to not be moderated and people could be awful, eventually get banned and come back as new names.  I am glad things are better controlled here.  It is one thing to disagree but the bullying and nastiness and piling on by many posters sucks.

And what someone said about comments on child memorial videos on YouTube was shocking.  What have we become as a society if people are out there thinking it is OK to make a snarky joke about a dead kid?

Super Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

My former employer required that everyone open a Facebook account......so we could "all be friends."     I retired, and haven't been on Facebook since.

That is a bad idea work and social media should be kept separate.  Glad you could retire!

Esteemed Contributor

t's bad out there on Social Media and you can see it happen here too....I've read a post or two before the mods saw it and poofed it.

A person can start a completely innocent post and sometimes it will go in a entirely off topic nasty direction....sad

Honored Contributor

Rude comments, judgemental replies are every where ,including here, just sad.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

I think there was more to it than that...