Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Cruel Comments on Facebook

@grandma petes wrote:

I sometimes just shake my head when I read some of the posts people put on Facebook. Our local news station posted a story about a woman that was hit and killed in our local Costco parking lot. Well, it started a firestorm of some of the most sarcastic and mean spirited comments I've ever read on a public forum. I won't share those comments because they shouldn't be given anymore publicity. I replied that this poor woman's family and friends are grieving and that this was not the time nor the place to have a war of words. Someone replied to my post and called me an SJW..meaning Social Justice Warrior. The definition in short means that when someone calls you this, it's an insult. On the other hand, I don't mind at all. If speaking out for those that can't speak for themselves makes me a SJW...then I consider it a compliment. It is truly beyond my comprehension how people can post such hateful things, especially during tragic events. I know it's Freedom of Speech, but just because you have the right, doesn't make it right.

Try Twitter..its 100 times worse!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

So sorry to say but I don't know why anyone is surprised by such behavior. It's been going on for years but now it's been "validated" and normalized so to speak. Using another definition of norms/normal. What incredibly sad lives such people lead. Very bad indicator for the future of humanity.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I'm not on Facebook, but, as you know, abusive comments are all over the Internet.  In years past when discussing an issue I would argue with some of these trolls.  I no longer engage at all because I realize it is beyond futile.  I'll ignore their attacks or just post one reply if something needs to be explained.  Then I'll leave them to their misery.  I don't know why these trolls get a kick out of what they do.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandma petes wrote:

I sometimes just shake my head when I read some of the posts people put on Facebook. Our local news station posted a story about a woman that was hit and killed in our local Costco parking lot. Well, it started a firestorm of some of the most sarcastic and mean spirited comments I've ever read on a public forum. I won't share those comments because they shouldn't be given anymore publicity. I replied that this poor woman's family and friends are grieving and that this was not the time nor the place to have a war of words. Someone replied to my post and called me an SJW..meaning Social Justice Warrior. The definition in short means that when someone calls you this, it's an insult. On the other hand, I don't mind at all. If speaking out for those that can't speak for themselves makes me a SJW...then I consider it a compliment. It is truly beyond my comprehension how people can post such hateful things, especially during tragic events. I know it's Freedom of Speech, but just because you have the right, doesn't make it right.

Why bother? I have learned the hard way to not post on FB sites I know nothing about.  I was tired of getting hateful FB posts In return.  Let it go. People are sick and just need attention. It's always been this way.  Lovely Mark Zuckerberg just gave them all a platform to be hateful and bullies.  How does he sleep at night? 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I've been disgusted by many many of the things I've read on this forum. It's certainly not limited to Facebook or any specific age group. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

My best advice is for people to stay away from social media.  I'm not the slightest bit interested in it.......it's a time killer, and often a source of added stress in our already stressful lives.

I believe people have been exposed to so much death, violence and suffering through various forms of media, that they have become somewhat immune to it.  It's a sad sign of our times.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Right or wrong in this day and age you just have to  learn to ignore it.  It won't change.  Kids need to be taught to get beyond bullying because I don't see how you can stop it.  Somehow people have to learn to take the sting out of it.  I don't see any other alternative.  You can't wish it away.

We can't blame "kids."  We've all seen it, daily, and it's coming from adults.

I am not blaming kids.  I'm saying we need to teach our kids to NOT do this stuff but to IGNORE it when others do it, because you can't stop it.  I don't like it or condone it, but I don't see a way on earth to stop it.  

Respected Contributor

It amazes me that people will fight with complete strangers over the dumbest things.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  Just to add additional information about twitter accounts that many may not be beware of, is that twitter re-edits posts.  Found this out by accident, went to my rarely used twitter account to review my postings and discovered some of my statements were re-edited.  Words were changed, words I don't use, but the meaning of my statements did not change, strange, its like there's a twitter editor.  My original statements are benign, and no bad words used.  I only have four followers, just befuddled.