Honored Contributor

Re: Crock pot or Insta Pot

[ Edited ]

Odd man out here: We favor stove or oven cooking and also stovetop PC. We never really enjoyed what we tried in a slow cooker and just have never been enticed by other electric stuff.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Absolutely an Instant Pot.  The Instant Pot has a slow cooker function built in and is much more versatile.  It will do so much more than a crock pot.  I gave my shelf hog crock pot away when I got my pressure cooker.  One big advantage....you can prepare a tough inexpensive cut of meat in a pressure cooker and make deliciously fork tender, quickly cook hard boiled eggs, make yogurt, prepare vegetables, steam foods, make perfect rice.  Get a 6 qt unit for 2 people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I am donating the Instapot. 👎

I use a Ninja crockpot for pot roast but otherwise don't like the texture of food cooked in it.  An old-fashioned Dutch oven is my favorite, but it's become too heavy for me to safely haul in and out of the oven.  

Valued Contributor

@ProudMa i have the Insignia Pressure Cooker which has a slow cook function.  Pressure cooker is used almost daily.  i purchased from Best Buy.  I have no experience with the IP.  

Honored Contributor

I bought a crock pot a year ago and have yet to use it although I plan to try the crock pot beef and bow tie casserole recipe that was posted here.  So for me neither one.  DH does a lot of the cooking and he loves his George Foreman grill.  

Super Contributor

I hated my InsaPot and sent it to my daughter.  Crockpot is OK, but find good ole Pot on the stove or in the oven the very best.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   I just made perfect rice in my IP tonight.  Also made garbanzo beans today for hummus.  I really can't imagine not having it.  No watching.   Push a button or two..it's done..DW

Honored Contributor

An Instant Pot is both a slow cooker & pressure cooker.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Crock pot or Insta Pot

[ Edited ]
@ProudMa wrote:

Looking to purchase one or the other....Just hubby and I...but winter time stews and soups are our fav

which have you found the most useful...and get better results...

@ProudMa 

For 2 to 4 people.  I use both.  More with the Crock pot during the Winter.

If all you are doing is soups, stews, pot roast, chili,, beans, chicken, beef or pork ribs /chops, etc. then all you really need is a basic Crock pot.

I am still using a 35 year old 3.5 qt, Crock pot almost once a week.  All it has is High, Los, and off.  

I also have a 3.5 at. barrel style C.E. pressure cooker.

If you do pressure cook then an Instant Pot or pressure cooker is a handy.  It does a lot. At a cost.   

IMO, don’t pay for more than you actually need.

Good luck.

99001C79-BC14-4942-8541-6682DD84AE88.jpeg

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Honored Contributor

@tennpal15 wrote:

I never was much of a slow cooker fan, but I love my Instant Pot ~ so versatile. 

@tennpal15  I agree 100 percent!  I'll bet I haven't used slow cooker 3 times in the last 4 years, but I use an Instant Pot probably 4 times or more  week!

We have a 6 qt. and a 3 qt. for the two of us and use them all the time!  Best thing since sliced bread!  The food is better and you can cook so many more things and it's not watery.

It cooks in steam in pressure, so I think it also cooks more evenly in the Instant Pot. 

If you like hard boiled eggs, they are always easy to shell in the IP!