Respected Contributor

NoRe: Crock pot or Insta Pot

[ Edited ]

I LOVE my INSTANT POT. Flavors are slow cook  flavor for very short amount of time

I use mine for  Pork ribs, wings, Turkey breast,, sloppy Joes, spaghetti sauce, oxtail stew, eggs, rice...gonna try that pasta trick.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Thank you so much @Sooner ! What brand do you have? I want something that I know someone else has who uses it and it works. Thanks. 🙂

@Mimi 1883 I started out in the dark ages with Presto stove top.  It was a pain.  I then got another brand they won't let me post the name but it starts with an f and ends with agor.  And I had an electric one from them too, AND a Cuisinart.  I am old and there have been many coupons and sales and we both worked and always cooked a lot.

AND I had one from QVC that was oval and weighed a ton and I HATED and gave away.  Some people loved that one.

ALL of the above I had issues with getting the lid on right and setting correctly and a few other frustrating things.

NOW we have 3 Instant Pots and like them all and use them all the time.

IF someone wants a stovetop, Fissler is the way to go!  

Honored Contributor

We shopped around before choosing our stovetop PC's. We wanted to get  the equivalent of the best SS cookware. That led us to Kuhn Ricon Duramatic.

" DUROMATIC® Pressure Cookers are made of 18/10 stainless steel with a solid aluminum Superthermic® sandwich base for use on all heat sources, including induction stovetops.

SAFE – The integrated locking system (prevents opening under pressure) and the four safety steam release systems make the DUROMATIC® an extremely safe pressure cooker.

FAST – Cooking with the DUROMATIC® takes on average, just one-third of the time of conventional cooking.

HEALTHY – the DUROMATIC® will cook high-fiber, low-fat foods in record time AND preserve essential vitamins and nutrients.

ECONOMICAL – The DUROMATIC® pressure cooker is so much quicker, it will save you time and use up to 70% less energy.

QUALITY – DUROMATIC® Pressure Cookers are made of 18/10 stainless steel with a solid aluminum Superthermic® sandwich base for use on all heat sources, including induction stovetops."

We have these two:

8.4 stockpot (Please large crowds with delicious meats and soups, and stock the freezer with pre-cooked meals. The elegant classic model with the timeless design and so easy to use. Ideal for large and small families, singles or couples. The two side handles are designed for easy lifting and compact storage.)

DUROMATIC® Stockpot

And this 5.3 family-style braiser (The DUROMATIC® Family Style Frying Pan is ideal for browning meat quickly then tenderizing it in a matter of minutes once the lid has gone on and the cooker has come up to pressure. This generously-sized braiser has an 11" waffle-textured cooking surface for fat-free browning and sautéing. Our Family Style pressure cookers are ideal for professional chefs and enthusiastic home cooks who have to cater for large numbers.)

DUROMATIC® Family Style Braiser

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Thank you so much @Sooner ! What brand do you have? I want something that I know someone else has who uses it and it works. Thanks. 🙂

@Mimi 1883 I started out in the dark ages with Presto stove top.  It was a pain.  I then got another brand they won't let me post the name but it starts with an f and ends with agor.  And I had an electric one from them too, AND a Cuisinart.  I am old and there have been many coupons and sales and we both worked and always cooked a lot.

AND I had one from QVC that was oval and weighed a ton and I HATED and gave away.  Some people loved that one.

ALL of the above I had issues with getting the lid on right and setting correctly and a few other frustrating things.

NOW we have 3 Instant Pots and like them all and use them all the time.

IF someone wants a stovetop, Fissler is the way to go!  

@Sooner  Thank you! I just ordered the Fissler.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3   I've never encountered this brand for a stovetop.  Thank you for mentioning it.

@ProudMa   I have a slow cooker and an Instant Pot.  I do use the Instant Pot for its pressure cooker feature much more often than resorting to using my slow cooker.

I still cook on the top of the stove and use my oven and counter top Oster XL French Door oven.  But, I like to cook.

As others have said, don't buy smaller than a six quart size for either type appliance you choose if you can only use one.  You can put a small amount in the larger size, but not the reverse, obviously

I would think about the kind of things you tend to cook often and look up the appliance directions for each,  That also might help you make your decision.  Neither appliance is difficult to learn how to use.  The newer slow cookers tend to cook a little "hotter" because of federal regulation changes so be sure to look up modern recipes, not the ones from the 60's and 70's.

Happy cooking adventures,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Super Contributor
I have both. Had a slow cooker for 25+ years. Bought my Insta Pot a year ago. I am really torn between which I like better. I don't use either one due to time constraints (like make dinner in the AM and leave the house or get dinner done fast.) I use them because I like the way the specific recipes that I like work in each one. I really like the way food smells when it cooks all day in the slow cooker. Makes the house feel homey. If I had to pick just one, I would chose the slow cooker for this reason.
Valued Contributor

Re: Crock pot or Insta Pot

[ Edited ]

I love my Ninja Foodie.  It's an instant pot, steamer, slow cooker, air fryer, dehydrator, roaster, broiler, plus it sautes, and bakes.  I've used all of these functions except for broil, saute, and bake but they're on my bucket list.  If you are only two people I would get one of these, if you can afford it, and get the best of both worlds and more.   It is well worth the investment.  When I first got it, it said you could make a whole 3 lb. chicken in 22 minutes.  I didn't believe it but tried it.  It gets up to steam quickly and in 22 minutes the timer went off.  I put a thermometer into the chicken and it WAS done.  I then just put it on air fry for 12 minutes and you would never know it wasn't sitting in a slow oven for 2+ hours and was tender and juicy.  I made beef stew last weekend and used the slow cook function on the Ninja for the first time and it tasted no different than when I did it in my slow cooker.  That being said, I find that I use the instant pot function more than my slow cooker now, even though I am home all the time too.   Hope this helps you in making a decision.   :smileyhappy:

Respected Contributor

Have had a slow-cooker for years and also had a pressure cooker.  Pressure cooker collected dust on the shelf while slow-cooker got dirty from constant use. Slow-cooker is my choice.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Crock pot or Insta Pot

[ Edited ]

The Instant Pot has a slow cooker function so it's the best of both worlds for me.  For some reason things I slow cook in my IP taste better than in the regular crockpot, and I love that can do a preliminary browning right in the IP and that is has the removable stainless steel liner for fast cleaning.  My Rival is sitting in the back of the cupboard.