Honored Contributor

I refuse to get caught up in the "nickel and dime" stuff!  Unless something can change my credit score to a better level  -  it's not worth my attention.  

Know your current bracket -  and if possible do things to move up into a higher bracket.  And if that's not possible, just live.   Those numbers are meaningful to people/companies who lend us money via all kinds of loans -  mortgages, credit cards, insurances, etc.  But unless you've trashed your personal credit rating via irresponsibility, job loss, or bad health -  I bet your exact credit score doesn't matter all that much to how you live your life.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops Sadly - it does matter - not the stupid 4 points they notified me about. That was just a ploy to try to sell a credit card - but in the end of it all - credit ratings count for things like buying insurance, of course - borrowing money, and even, after my parents terrible accident I needed an attorney to help me with their affairs and the first thing the attorney did was look into mine and my brothers credit ratings. He accepted me and one brother as clients but not the other brother who had horrible credit. So, those numbers do matter.

Honored Contributor

@151949Nowhere did I say the credit ratings don't matter.

But what matters is the bracket you are in, so as I said if those 4 points don't change your bracket, those 4 points do not matter much at all.  In fact, often if the change is 4 points, a different rating agency will show you 4 points higher.

As for the lawyer refusing your brother as a client, I'm all on the lawyer's side.  For whatever reason your brother had/has horrible credit, the lawyer has every right to protect his own credit by choosing clients he can expect to pay him -  on time.

I say this as a loving sister of two brothers -  one to whom I'd willingly lend as much money as I could scrape together.  The other -  I'd GIVE him any money I could afford to lose, but it wouldn't be a loan because I doubt he'd ever pay it back. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me here that several people here don't know the difference between a credit SCORE and a credit RATING.  Apples and oranges.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/110614/whats-difference-between-credit-rating-and-credit-sco...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Credit ratings - ugh.

[ Edited ]

What is wrong with having credit cards? I have about 5.  I rotate using them.  I pay them off end of each month in full.. I get points and get back hundreds of dollars for just using them! It is a plus plus plus!  They cost me nothing.  My fico score is 850.  We have no debt other than a car loan at 0% interest. Just payed off our home in full.