Respected Contributor

Re: Credit card companies are on the ball.....

I hope the CC companies are doing better. But four months ago someone hacked my card and charge a bunch of stuff in North Carolina.

I have alerts set up for any purchases made at gas stations. So when they bought gas, I received an alert. All of the charges were under $50.  

I now check all of my CC's daily.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My understanding is what the theives do now a days is steal the information and go buy themself a large gift card. then the money trail ends right there and they have the gift card to use anywhere. So , it is becoming more difficult to buy a gift card with a cc or with credit info online. 

I always buy huge quantities of gift cards at grocery stores, either they have gas points deals if you purchase gift cards, plus my credit card rewards me double points for using it at a grocery store. 

We're redoing an entire house, so every time we make a big purchase, whether it's for building material, furniture, appliances or even bedding I make sure I'm using a gift card, if possible. 

It's a win/win with me.  As long as I show ID (I go straight to CS to purchase large amounts), I have no problem.

Valued Contributor

My CC company has inquired about purchases to make sure they are legit.  A couple times, it was because the card had indeed been compromised.  However, for some reason, they consistently call to ask about my purchases at a Target in my city.  I spend a couple hundred bucks at this exact same target once every few months and have for years and years on the same card!!  You would think after the 20th time I bought stuff at this exact same target, they wouldn't keep questioning it...

Trusted Contributor

If they stop charges from going through, I call them immediately.  I don't wait for them to call me.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.