Esteemed Contributor

Re: Creative Solution or Dumbing Down?

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 

Better to have them looking down while walking than looking at their phones while driving. Amazing how many important things are in one's every day life now, that they have to be available 24/7 for instant access.

Dumbing Down? Most of those can't complete a money transaction without a calculator, or tell time on a non-digital time piece? Forget it! Wonder how many of these "looker downers" could program my old analog car radio? 

Already dumbed down, and it's still heading towards dumber, and I don't care how many certificates they have accrued in higher education?

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dumbing down was already in full swing before the idiots were looking down!

I view looking down as a form of natural selection.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I call it dumbing down. People seem to feel so self-important nowadays and pay attention only to their phones, not what's going on around them. In my state, there were so many interstate accidents from people on their phones and running off the road into the trees. They removed a huge swath of trees from the sides and middle of the interstate. Oh, and it didn't stop people from running off the roads. Removal of the trees in the medians only made it possible for the offenders to run into the opposing interstate lanes. I hope I'm not hurting feelings here, stating only my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1   So sorry this happened to you.  Here in Chicago I see many people staring at their phones and not paying attention.  When one of these zombies approach me, I stop, say "heads up" (which usually has no effect) and wait until "it" passes.  I do not get out of their way.

Hope you have fully recovered.

Esteemed Contributor

It's an addiction. There have been studies that the brain reacts to social media like other addiction that gives temporary pleasure.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

We're turning Darwinian evolution on its head. Survival of the fittest used to include intelligence. Smarter people tended to live longer and be able to reproduce. We're making it nearly impossible for stupid people to die these days. You used to have to know certain things to survive. What plants and animals are dangerous. How to safely handle and prepare food. How to grow, kill, or trap food. 

Now we have idiots climbing into a tiger's enclosure to take a selfie. People who are so obsessed with their phones that they're walking into traffic. Any evolutionary advantage for intelligence is largely being wiped out. The world is being made so safe that no matter how absurdly stupid you are, your genetic line is likely to survive. I'm not sure how good that is for humanity's future. It makes you wonder sometimes. 

It would be interesting to know how IQ test results are moving over the decades. I would assume that IQ scores for those still living in the more dangerous parts of the world are holding steady or rising while those for us in the "safer" parts of the world are likely falling. We've largely removed intelligence as a factor for survival by making the world so safe it's hard for even the dumbest people to kill themselves accidentally. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

What is to stop those people from not paying attention to the lights on the sidewalk while looking at their phone.  I'm hoping its a large section of the sidewalk that lights up and not a small section.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought I'd seen a TV Commercial for a "Cell Phone Mount" to be placed on the Driver's Side, "side window," & was curious, why that location?..

I looked up Car "Cell Phone Mounts" & was shocked at the profound amount of choices there are for sooo many car "cell phone mounts."

Did I miss a chapter in "Cell Phone Usage" theology?

I thought we were to be leading away from using the Cell Phone while driving?

What if Vehicle Drivers are on their Cell Phones, while driving *and* Pedestrians are on their Cell Phones while walking?

Is this the possibility now?

Honored Contributor

And I thought we were the only country that is victum to DUMBING DOWN!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's an addiction. There have been studies that the brain reacts to social media like other addiction that gives temporary pleasure.

@Nancy Drew 

Yep, when people make stupid choices, along comes the studies that say Addiction. Studies of course done by corporations that get a BIG piece of the "lookin down instruments" pie, otherwise known as mobile computers.

Gotta give everyone an out. Addiction seems to be that out. Wonder what Addiction they will study to be the cause of perpetual criminals? I'm sure someone is working on that study.

"Gives them temporary pleasure"!

Now @Nancy Drew  This has nothing to do with you, or your post. You are only the messenger telling us about the studies. Not meant as anything negative towards you.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)