Regular Contributor

Re: Creating Your - "If I Go Missing" Notebook!

@MakeUpMaidn I disagree with your statement that you shouldn't have mentioned that the idea came from TikTok. I think it's very important that we know what the source is for many of these "ideas". Even more so when it involves personal information.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it' a good idea @MakeUpMaidn  and I would give this information to my husband.  I trust him 100%.  Thanks for sharing.  

Btw - there's a lot of good info on Tik Tok.

Respected Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

On TikTok, this has been introduced, (as presented on a "Crime" pgm)

Ppl create a Personal   "IF I GO MISSING"  Notebook" of themselves,   & place all their personal info in it, for a quick reference, esp in the event something happens, & need  "ID info" ASAP.

It's filled with items, such as "clipped lock of hair,"   Personal, Current Pic"    "Dental Info,"  "Own "Fingerprints,"  "Copy of Drivers License," "DNA Sample"  "Blood Type,"  List/Pic ID marks on the body,"  "Meds currently on"   Clothes/shoe size,   Routine Jewelry,  Tattoo locations/Pics,  List of Relatives, or Close Contacts,  Who to contact "In the Event"     just  *anything ID'ing*

Any info that can be grabbed quickly,& can speed up any personal ID info,  in the event of some unfortunate, unforeseen circumstance.. 

We know that the 1st 24 hrs is often the most critical hrs to locate a person in trouble."  (or for whatever other reason such a notebook wld be handy to instantly have available)

@MakeUpMaidn   Thank you for sharing.  Good info.  I have no qualms in sharing that info with my immediate family as they either have that info anyway or have access to it.  And it seems wise to have it handy "in case of a worst case scenario."

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@eadu4 @Desertdi 

I don't think the subsequent logistics and problems with this " Notebook " idea have been thought through carefully enough.

People change over time, there can be falling outs, estrangements, disfunctional relationships, animosity, enmity, cognitive impairment, and death.  What becomes of the Notebook document ???????  The information contained therein becomes whose responsibility ????  How long does the responsibility get handled safely until it doesn't ???

No safeguards exist.  Enroute to being found and shredded, it gets " lost " and subject to misuse.

Bottom line: Not a good idea when all the potential pitfalls are examined.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see how that would help locate a missing person. It might help Iidentify a Jane Doe body. I certainly wouldn't put all that information in some journal that I give to....who? Who would be the keeper of all that personal information?    

Esteemed Contributor

It's fine for people who trust that it would be used properly. My thought is that the person or persons responsible for keeping the information might be unscrupulous and manipulate it for their own use. (As a rule, I don't trust people.)

Giving it to one's spouse might work, but I'm not interestd in doing so.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't see how that would help locate a missing person. It might help Iidentify a Jane Doe body. I certainly wouldn't put all that information in some journal that I give to....who? Who would be the keeper of all that personal information?    

I heard this idea on some show the other day and thought the same thing. It's information to identify a body rather than find one. 
Honored Contributor

Not a good idea for me. No way.

Honored Contributor

Seems like fear mongering to me
"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Valued Contributor

My husband, my kids, my sister and brother and my best friend from 4th grade have all the info anyone would need to find me or identify me if I went missing.

I might do this if I were alone. Id keep the info in my safe deposit box, which could be opened with a court order if someone was investigating my disappearance.