Esteemed Contributor

Until I planned DH's creamation I did not know creamation urns come in 2 sizes.  The funeral director asked DH's weight because if you are over a certain weight they charge more. 

I did not want a tradtional looking "urn", I chose one that looks like a piece of art.

For myself I like the body farm idea.  

Respected Contributor

@patbz He'll have to look into it and decide.  35 years.  Lt. Col. 

Honored Contributor

Both. Our ashes must be returned to the earth

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005   Not disrespectful at all!  You always need a sense of humor.  I'm assuming he had one, and would appreciate, although not being the life of the party, at least being part of the party!  LOL

Honored Contributor

not here on this forum   that I want to discuss.

Respected Contributor

Re: Creamation or Burial?

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen   

LOLL!!!  I'm not sure I want to go that far!  Many years ago, one of my neighbors died.  She lived alone, with just a small poodle, and it was a few days before anyone knew she had died.  I had the cops give the dog to me so that I could comfort her and get some food into her.  She had NOT feasted on her mom, although some pets do under similar circustancess.  They get hungry,after alll.

At any rate, for a long time after, I would tell my dogs "Don't eat me if I die!" LOL!!!

@Othereeeen wrote:

Maybe by the time I go, due to overpopulation, people protein will be used as a food source! I'm OK with that too.

I'll. Be. Dead.

Esteemed Contributor

Love to be cremated but my suviving family would not allow it.  Religion and all that good stuff.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Green burial

@GenXmuse   Same here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It's important to find out in advance, the medical school in Birmingham does not give the body back unless the family requests it.   The school handles the final resting place in a yearly ceremony.   The body is cremated and buried in a private cemetery.

There are many laws, regulations and policies regarding a body donated to a medical school.   Find out all the details.   You cannot be an organ donor, for obvious reasons, to be able to donate to a med school.    Also not every body is accepted.   All of this needs to be arranged in advanced.

@MLM21 wrote:

I would be careful about donating a body to science. I have a coworker whose aunt donated her body to science (never married and had no kids. She did not want to "burden" her nieces and nephews with a funeral.  Long story short. They still have to plan one as they used the body and a year later gave it back to the family (had a another coworker also tell me this with her daughter when she went to medical school. They gave the cadaver back to the family after they were done with it). 

Respected Contributor

Cremation, no wake or service of any kind and sprinkling of ashes.