Contributor

I would be careful about donating a body to science. I have a coworker whose aunt donated her body to science (never married and had no kids. She did not want to "burden" her nieces and nephews with a funeral.  Long story short. They still have to plan one as they used the body and a year later gave it back to the family (had a another coworker also tell me this with her daughter when she went to medical school. They gave the cadaver back to the family after they were done with it). 

Contributor

my mother was cremated. our whole family will be too. sometimes it is sad not to have a grave to visit, but i feel its for the best.

Honored Contributor

Creamation and no service. No one cares at that point.

Honored Contributor

DH & I will be cremated and then buried in the same grave.  We want no service, etc.  I have everything set up already.  I have set up a prayer service upon burial.  That is it.  

I know some want the viewing, and days of having people come to the funeral home and full ceremony, etc., and that is fine, but it's not for us.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Creamation or Burial?

[ Edited ]

@sissel wrote:

The will is done, both cremation even tho we have plots back east. I don't want a lid on me even with cremation. We have a nice lake fine with me. Sometimes the funeral isn't the problem it's what happens if you mental or psychical can't take care of yourself. Assit living is in the will, my daughter knows & the will is made. We don't want to be a burden to her. 

Have you tried contacting the cemetary where your plots are located?

When I was 41, my husband passed away suddenly and I also bought a plot next to him in MI.  It's 25 yrs later, I remarried and moved to another state.  The cemetary bought the plot back as I had no intention of using it.

I appreciate this thread because I've learned of new options never heard of - composting, green funerals or the Body Farm.  But I do totally respect those who prefer a more traditional venue.

DH & I plan on cremation with no services as we have no children and family is out of state.  I'd just as soon have my ashes tilled into someone's flower garden (where I could do some good for once.) Woman Wink

I used to joke that my ashes be taken to Disney World and scattered in their flower beds.  Hey!  I might have suggested a new source of income for them...but refuse to divulge the name I thought up. Woman Wink

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: Creamation or Burial?

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs both my parents were cremated and I buried their ashes.  There was no service at the graveside, it was just me.

Respected Contributor

Cremation for me....or whatever is the cheapest way when the time comes (I'm 63 now).

I''ll be dead.

I live in a rural area and whenever I see a deer carcass dissolving into the earth, I think I'd like to go like that, but it's impractical I guess....

Maybe by the time I go, due to overpopulation, people protein will be used as a food source! I'm OK with that too.

I'll. Be. Dead.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter , thanks for the response.....I really have no idea why this subject occupies my mind so much...we are not sick....but DH is older than me and he is the one with kids.  We both have very small families.

I guess I am concerned that friends will 'talk' if I do no service at all....and yes I know..it's my decision but it still concerns me.  I guess when the time comes I will know what to do...thanks!

Regular Contributor

Burial for me.  No way do I want to be burned.  I have a plot and will be buried right next to my Mom.

Honored Contributor

@tammysu wrote:

Burial for me.  No way do I want to be burned.  I have a plot and will be buried right next to my Mom.

@tammysu I don't want to be cremated either.  My husband and daughter also know  that I don't want to be put in the dirt, I want to be put in a "community" mausoleum.