Trusted Contributor

Cremation for me.  I'm single, never married, no children.  I've told my sister and nephews (who I'm very close to) that I want my ashes spread in the Cape May, NJ, beach like that scene from Shawshank Redemption, where Andy is letting out the cement from his wall into the prison yard.  And I want a bench by the beach.  

My dad died 6 weeks ago.  He did not want anything, no wake, funeral, etc.  We had him cremated and then had a mass and luncheon for him last week.  We and our extended family needed some closure so we did what we wanted to do.  Why begin to listen to him now??Woman Tongue  He was loved by everyone.

It was a beautiful ceremony and a lovely lunch.  We had old family pictures, a video, shared our favorite stories about dad and those who departed before him.  He would have loved it as he loved family get togethers.

In the next couple of weeks, he will be placed in a garden at a local cemetary where our mom is.  She is in one of the mausoleums and he will be outside her window.

Frequent Contributor

Creamation for me. 

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 

I'm sorry for your loss.  My father passed away nearly 17 years ago.  He always said you want to stay on the right side of the grass.  Well, he did... he was in my closet until a couple months ago.  He's in my brother's closet now.  We'll do something with the ashes after my mother dies.  Whatever we do, we'll do with both together.

Esteemed Contributor

Around 1989 - 1990 or so,I took a death and dying class at my local j.c.

Part of the class was to take a field trip to a local funeral home.

When we got there, they explained to us everything that they did, etc, and handed each of us a price sheet of the stuff that they offered.

Even then I was floored by how expensive caskets were!

But, I guess if there is any good news, one can now buy their casket off of Amazon.

Seriously!

casket.jpg

This one is selling for $1,199

From what I understand, it'll be delivered to the funeral home of your choice.

And according to Amazon, there's only four left of this one.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Cremation for me joined with the ashes of my four-legged kitties to be scattered, location to be decided.  No services.

Respected Contributor

Dh and I will have a visitation, but I want to be cremated right after I die so mine will be a small box with pictures around it.  His will be the traditional viewing. We both want a funeral mass and burial at the local cemetery where we’ve already purchased plots.

Respected Contributor

Immediate cremation, with no services of any kind for me. I want my ashes placed in a biodegradeable urn and dropped in the Gulf of Mexico offshore from my beach place. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with @software . DH & I want to be buried.Since we aren’t religious we want a neutral ceremony. We want only those closest to us to attend.

We want our loved ones to celebrate our lives & all we have accomplished. Funerals are for those we leave behind.It gives them the opportunity to gather & say goodbye in their own way.

I know it would give my son comfort to have a place to visit us.He deserves that.

Trusted Contributor

@ItsME,

funny you say about your dad being in your closet ...

my dad is sitting with me by my dining room table!

I went to my sister's today for a last minute bbq and I thought about bringing dad so he could be part of the day.

Am I being disrespectful??  He hated to be left out of anything.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Creamation or Burial?

[ Edited ]

@ItsME :  If your SO is eventually buried at Arlington, chances are he must be cremated (if you are married, you too can be cremated and buried there.  The cremains of both my parents are interred there.  I may not be up to date on current regs for an Arlington burial but unless your SO is very high profile (Medal of Honor,President, Astronaut) you don't have many options.