Honored Contributor

Re: Crazy unwanted phone calls

Seriously, as I've said over and over again:

'Funny' that some p*litician or safety activist group (or whatever) somewhere hasn't brought up this subject.

Not only is it annoying, it's downright dangerous for many folks.  Seniors, elderly, folks with physical issues, etc.

I've known several who fell, running to their landline. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

i deal with them by answereing the phone and letting them think i have fallen for the scam and then i either blow a loud whistle into the receiver or i really cuss them out and tell them to stop calling.  it has workwed for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DWe cut our landline several years ago. So glad we did, but now we are constantly harassed by calls on our sell phones....I block them but they call back with a one-digit change in the number, so blocking is pointless. I have receive over 50 calls from Bayonne, NJ in the past two weeks. This is harrassment, imho. I tried the call the number back but it is an outgoing number only. I tried nomorobo but it is a waste of money since the calls are still coming.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @hckynut  Appreciate you taking the time to response.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed this, but during certain events we don’t receive any scam calls.  For instance, during the John McCain funeral which lasted for several days, we didn’t receive a single scam call.  However, when it was over, the scam calls began again, 5 – 10 a day, just like clockwork. 

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom: If a call slips thru I pick up and hang up in one fell swoop. It’s easier for me to then quickly google the number.

Of course I should probably remember that if nomorobo didn’t stop it I should probably go ahead and pick it up. I've be been doing it one way for so long that it's a real habit and automatic.

Cox provided the free nomorobo service to customers about 4-5 weeks ago so we’re still getting used to it.

Really works well

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everything everyone has stated, I have experienced. When nomorobo seemed to be diminishing its effectiveness,  I purchased a call blocker from QVC and it works well.  Not only does it have builtin blocked numbers previously recognized as nuisance #'s, when I see a number I do not recognize on caller ID, I can block it on machine of from my extension handset!  The incessant, obnoxious calls have almost stopped completely, very few now received, and if some try to call again that I blocked, ID says "Caller Blocked"!  I can also mute the ring on my phone or handsets so I have freed up the irritation of unwanted calls!

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Yes, drop the landline! I have a cell exclusively and never get any unwanted calls. Never.

I get those calls on both my landline and cell all the time. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer either one. Worst case scenario is someone has to leave a voicemail.

This is what I told family.  If by chance they are somewhere and cell has died and they need to use someone else's phone to call bc they need something - - leave a message and I'll listen to it and call them back otherwise. . .not happening. 

Respected Contributor

By the way - another scam coming back around is getting an international call that rings once or twice and hangs up.  Today cell got a call from Monaco - didn't answer it but looked up the number and ppl have said that they have been getting these type calls all of a sudden recently.  They think this is the scam where you call back to see what they want and you are kept on the phone for awhile bc they are collecting tolls while keeping you on the line.  Always amazed at why ppl would answer such calls.

Honored Contributor

I get the cloned local number all the time, same exchange as mine.  Lately, the local numbers with names I believe are volunteers for candidates running for election.

They all get blocked.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN