Respected Contributor

I'm sure I am not the only one this is happening to.  It is happening on my landline now several times a day.

Signed up for the "do not call list."  Have purchased a call blocker.  But some days, the phone still rings several times a day.

The calls seem to be super local.  Some even include names.  Some will say "cellular call," "Illinois call," "not assigned," and probably a few others.  They are same area code and prefix as my phone number.  All that is different is last 4 numbers.  It is as if neighbors are calling you.  Yesterday, it went on all day.

Sure, we are blocking them.  But their supply seems endless!  I have read they are hijacking actual phone numbers without their owners knowledge.  I have tried calling the numbers back, and they mostly say "not in service."

Some tell me to drop the landline.  I get that, but cell phone calls are not nearly the quality of the land line.

Anyone else have this craziness going on?

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Re: Crazy unwanted phone calls

Yes.  I get them all day long. 

Honored Contributor

Yes. Same thing. Numbers from our area, even from my own name and number. When the phone rings if we are near it, will look at caller Id. If we know the person we answer, if not let it ring. Don’t bother with blocking. 

We almost ignore it altogether. If it’s important they can leave a message.

Respected Contributor

What is different is the seemingly local nature of the calls.  I got a lot before, but the new twist is them looking like neighborhood calls. 

I am getting less of the all over the country ones, and a super lot of the ones that look like they are right in my area.  Weird.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

What is different is the seemingly local nature of the calls.  I got a lot before, but the new twist is them looking like neighborhood calls. 

I am getting less of the all over the country ones, and a super lot of the ones that look like they are right in my area.  Weird.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003. I get those. It says cell phone and a local number. They also know I get phone calls from a certain area code and use numbers from that code. 

Respected Contributor

I highly recommend putting nomorobo on your landline.  It was free from my phone provider and it hangs up on those calls after the first ring.

The phone rings once and then it's over, and if I happen to be home and hear the one ring, I know that it was a telemarketer and my nomorobo took care of it.  Apparently, it rings once and the caller gets the message that this number is not accepting their calls.

Free service, and my parents have it on their land line as well.  Best thing we ever did to eliminate nearly all of those calls.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  Everything you are reporting is typical...especially the same phone number with only the last four digits different.  If you can get it, put nomorobo on your phone as suggested.  Most important, don't pick up the phone or call back.  If you want you can look up the phone number online you'll probably find lots of other people are receiving the same calls.  Keep blocking and go about your business.  You don't want to invest energy in this minor annoyance.

Respected Contributor

I get them all day long, every day, even on Sunday.  I won't give up the land line and besides, I get them on my cell phone, too.  Not as many but they still come in.  I even get one that identifies as 'illegal scam'.  I'm on the do not call registry and that's just about useless imo.   Other than ripping the phone out of the wall, I don't think there's anything one can do about these calls.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get two or three spoofed calls per day.  It's like you said - same phone number as my own except for last four digits.  I ignore them.  You shouldn't react to them, or it's liable to get worse because then they know you're a live one.

[I have Nomorobo and highly recommend it, but it doesn't catch these "local" calls.  "They" are spoofing a local number - a different one each time - so that you're more likely to pick-up.  The number isn't in Nomorobo's database, nor should it be.]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 How do you get this nomorobo service?