Honored Contributor

Craig Melvin in Talks with NBC to Replace Matt Lauer

[ Edited ]

‘MSNBC Live’ host Craig Melvin reportedly in talks to replace Matt Lauer at ‘Today’ BYKATE FELDMAN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 5:45 PM

NBC doesn’t appear to be in a rush to replace ousted host Matt Lauer, but “Today” Saturday co-host Craig Melvin’s name has popped up as an option.

The 38-year-old “MSNBC Live” host is being considered to fill in behind the desk, according to Entertainment Tonight.

“This would give the network the opportunity to make Melvin into a star at NBC,” a source told the outlet. “This would be clean slate.”

Melvin joined MSNBC in 2011 and has manned coverage of the George Zimmerman trial, the Sandy Hook massacre and the 2012 Republican and Democratic National conventions.

Not Released (NR)Craig Melvin is reportedly being considered to replace Matt Lauer on the “Today” show. (NOAM GALAI/GETTY IMAGES FOR SAVE THE CHILDR)

He won an Emmy in 2006 while working at a South Carolina TV station.

Lauer was fired last week after an accusation of sexual harassment.

By the end of the day, multiple women had come forward with stories of inappropriate behavior.

Lauer apologized in a statement Thursday, but said that some of the accusations are “untrue.”

Not Released (NR)

Media personalities accused of sexual misconduct

“There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC,” he said.

“Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

NARCH/NARCH30Lauer was fired last week after an accusation of sexual harassment. (LUCAS JACKSON/REUTERS)

“Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.”

“Sunday Today” host Willie Geist has also been rumored as a possible replacement, as have Megyn Kelly and Hoda Kotb.

Honored Contributor

Re: Craig Melvin in Talks with NBC to Replace Matt Lauer

Maybe instead of interviewing Craig Melvin, they ought to interview some of the women who work for him.  Never heard of him but he has a great smile.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

He's done some good work and I love his voice!  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

5 Things to Know About Craig Melvin

1. He already has a history with the Today show. Craig Melvin, 38, a reported frontrunner to replace Matt Lauer, 59, is a co-host on Todayshow’s Saturday edition, as well as an anchor on MSNBC Live during the week. On top of that, he’s already a substitute anchor for the Today show and MSNBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. Apparently, NBC and staff members already love Craig, so switching him to this more senior makes sense. A source told ET, “This would give the network the opportunity to make Melvin into a star at NBC. This would be clean slate.”

2. He has a wife and two kids. Craig married ESPN sports anchor Lindsay Czarniak, 40, on Oct. 15, 2011, and together they have two adorable children, Del and Sibby.

3. Craig is known for his extensive political coverage. Over the course of his career, he’s covered both the Republican and Democratic Conventions in 2012 for MSNBC, in addition to Election Night coverage for TVOne in their partnership with MSNBC.

4. Craig has covered some of the biggest stories of the last few years. Back in 2013, Craig reported on the Asiana Airlines 214 crash as well as the George Zimmerman, 34, trial. In 2012, he covered the horrific Sandy Hook shooting. As someone who has risen through the ranks from a high school recipient of the Associated Press Award to becoming a full-fledged MSNBC anchor, Craig is a shoe-in for the position, following Lauer’s firing.

5. He’s an Emmy award-winner!  Back in 2006, Craig received an Emmy for his reporting at WIS, NBC’s affiliate in Columbia, South Carolina. While at WIS, Craig reported on a prison hostage standoff and tackled social issues such as homelessness and gang violence.

[His wife, Lindsay, is a local girl.  She graduated from Centreville High School in Centreville, Va.  It is the high school where her mother was the principal for several years.]

Esteemed Contributor

Heard that Today show finally beat GMA in the ratings since
truth about Matt came out. No surprise there. I used to watch
GMA every a.m. but Lara's childish behavior and obnoxious laughing
turned me off GMA.

Honored Contributor

I hope not; I don't like him.

I liked Matt and I don't care about his personal activities nor with whom he had them. I don't believe most of the accusations, if true and terrible why not make them at the time instead of waiting the better part of forever?

Regular Contributor

Seems like a good choice.

Thanks for posting story and bio @golding76.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I agree with @Kachina624. They should be thinking of hiring a woman. Each candidate should have a thorough review of past behavior at all jobs. Women will be less likely do engage in this behavior so it makes sense that they top the list. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

He's done some good work and I love his voice!  

I agree. One of the best voices on the news.