Honored Contributor

Re: Cracker Barrel last night

I replied earlier but after reading other posts I have more comments.

First, all restaurants have roaches.   It's a constant battle and the best restaurants generally win the battle, having no "active" roaches.   Dirty kitchens sure have them but all kitchens attract them.  It's up to the manager to assign employees to clean properly and also to schedule the exterminator.

2nd, to the poster who didn't like the hard boiled egg in her gravy, it's called giblet gravy and that's how it's made in the South.   CB is a southern style chain.  Don't blame the restaurant because you don't know what you are ordering.

3rd how hard is it to cook?!    So many eating out because they never learned to cook.   Buy a bag of chicken breasts, season one up, throw it in the oven.   Cook til done

Open a can of veggies, maybe make a salad, good grief.

I don't eat out much, the style of food that seems to be popular looks like dog food.   I don't eat my food out of a bowl.   Neither do I want my food covered in gallons of gravy or cheese.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

That had to be a disappointing night out. We ate at a jam packed family owned supper club and everything was fantastic. Glad I made a reservation. Noticed the waitresses and bartenders have been there for the twenty years DH and have eaten there. It all comes down to the staff.

There's rarely a better meal than a Friday-night fish fry at a local Wisconsin supper club.  From the complementary relish tray, beer-battered walleye, and potato pancakes to the Brandy Old-Fashioned afterward. 

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I replied earlier but after reading other posts I have more comments.

First, all restaurants have roaches.   It's a constant battle and the best restaurants generally win the battle, having no "active" roaches.   Dirty kitchens sure have them but all kitchens attract them.  It's up to the manager to assign employees to clean properly and also to schedule the exterminator.

2nd, to the poster who didn't like the hard boiled egg in her gravy, it's called giblet gravy and that's how it's made in the South.   CB is a southern style chain.  Don't blame the restaurant because you don't know what you are ordering.

3rd how hard is it to cook?!    So many eating out because they never learned to cook.   Buy a bag of chicken breasts, season one up, throw it in the oven.   Cook til done

Open a can of veggies, maybe make a salad, good grief.

I don't eat out much, the style of food that seems to be popular looks like dog food.   I don't eat my food out of a bowl.   Neither do I want my food covered in gallons of gravy or cheese.

Since when are hard boiled eggs giblets?  I know the difference. And it wasn't pictured in the menu that way.  I don't think anyone here needs instructions in how to cook if they did they would ask.  All kitchens do not attrack roaches.

Honored Contributor

@software  I grew up in the south and where I was giblet gravy had giblets in it but NO hard boiled eggs.  I have seen people here in the southwest put hardboiled eggs in dressing, which is very very odd to me too!  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software  ...... Restaurants may have roaches but most restaurants, especially a Bob Evans restaurant, should not have a bad enough roach problem that the customers are seeing the roaches and reporting to the health department. Also, most larger restaurants have an exterminator schedule. This particular Bob Evans is not corporate owned. 

You are right. The South does have egg giblet gravy (or also referred to as Southerrn Egg Gravy). I know of no Cracker Barrel that has egg giblet gravy on their menu. Sawmill Gravy, yes. Sounds like a non-corporate owned Cracker Barrel. Used to frequent a non-corporate Cracker Barrel that served something that was not on the "approved" Cracker Barrel menu. That owner was notified by corporate to quit serving the item.

I agree with @lovescats . I am not a fan of egg giblet gravy. If it not described  in the menu it should not be served.

Cracker Barrel describes the type of gravy they do serve plainly on their menu ...... giblet gravy is not one. At least not at any of the Cracker Barrel's I have gone to.

Respected Contributor

As for the hard boiled eggs in the turkey gravy I think some restaurants use an egg product that comes in a plastic tube like rolled cookie dough and they just slice it from the tube into salads or whatever.  and I think CB probably had some that they had to use up and just threw in the turkey gravy. But I do not like hard boiled eggs at all 

And I have to agree that most of the food at CB is beige.

Honored Contributor

Since we started getting a combination of Hello Fresh and EveryPlate each week, I like my own cooking better than restaurants' anyway. The portions are just right, as opposed to the platters for 4 they plunk down in front of you in a restaurant and call it one serving.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

We don't eat at franchise restaurants. Quit years ago. We have lots of local restaurants that are super plus we prefer to support our community. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

1- All restaurants do not have roaches.

2- Mom was from TN and she did NOT put eggs in her giblet gravy or her dressing. Neither does anyone in her family. So, no. Giblet gravy doesn’t automatically have egg. That’s just gross! 😱😂
Honored Contributor

I am very picky where I eat and I have the nose of a blood hound. We tend not to eat in chain places very oftern

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.