Esteemed Contributor

DH and I went to CB to eat dinner. He ordered fried shrimp, fried okra and hushbrown casserole. Heart attack on a plate, I know. Well, it didn't matter he didn't eat it,  because his shrimp didn't look right. He touched it, and then put the fork basically in my face. I told him, thanks I do not want any of your shrimp. 

He then said, no feel this- well, I felt it and I am kid ya'll not it was ice cold. Now what on earth? 

Also, his plate had a bunch of fries (not ordered), the shrimp on top and that was it. I don't think the shrimp was cooked, or it was cooked and frozen and they didn't heat it back up.

I have never worked in a restaurant, I have no clue how they do things.

Anyway, we complained to manager, who said she was training "kids" and you can't "yell" at them to get them to do anything right. 

It was about the strangest restaurant experience I have had in quite a while. 

However, it got me to thinking. If whomever is cooking this stuff, is doing such a sorry job at cooking, do we really think they are washing their hands after using the restroom? 

I told dh, we will go to our favorite Japanese steakhouse, and our favorite Mexican restaurant and I think that will be it. 

I am going to have to start cooking I suppose. Lord help. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cracker Barrel last night

I hope you don't have to start cooking either!

I giggled to myself when I read it.

Shrimp is about the easiest thing in the world to prepare.

Since when did CB go into seafood?

They should stay in their lane.

I've always had a good experience, bet that manager's days are numbered.

No excuse for what happened.

Esteemed Contributor

It's important to be attentive to food orders. Sometimes the dish sits too long and becomes a disastrous stomach upset. Other times, the food itself is contaminated and inedible. Only once, my husband and I got really sick eating semi-warm Reuben sandwiches that had obviously not been properly stored. Most of the time we are very cognizant of what we order. If you have any doubt about the safety of your order, do not eat it.

Honored Contributor

They took the frozen shrimp from the freezer and put it in the deep fryer, that's why it was cold in the middle.  Bad management.  The new "kids" she had back their cooking were unsupervised and it seems like no one was training them to do anything.  So, you are right about cleanliness.  That's probably a problem in that kitchen.  I'd probably stop going there, not because of one terrible meal that should have been comped.  But because of the manager's  attitude.     

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

DH and I went to CB to eat dinner. He ordered fried shrimp, fried okra and hushbrown casserole. Heart attack on a plate, I know. Well, it didn't matter he didn't eat it,  because his shrimp didn't look right. He touched it, and then put the fork basically in my face. I told him, thanks I do not want any of your shrimp. 

He then said, no feel this- well, I felt it and I am kid ya'll not it was ice cold. Now what on earth? 

Also, his plate had a bunch of fries (not ordered), the shrimp on top and that was it. I don't think the shrimp was cooked, or it was cooked and frozen and they didn't heat it back up.

Anyway, we complained to manager, who said she was training "kids" and you can't "yell" at them to get them to do anything right. 

However, it got me to thinking. If whomever is cooking this stuff, is doing such a sorry job at cooking, do we really think they are washing their hands after using the restroom? 

I told dh, we will go to our favorite Japanese steakhouse, and our favorite Mexican restaurant and I think that will be it. 

What a weird manager. Her job wasn't to give you excuses for why something went wrong. It was to make sure you had good, edible food.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@happycat wrote:

What a weird manager. Her job wasn't to give you excuses for why something went wrong. It was to make sure you had good, edible food.

@Porcelain , Right, what an unprofessional answer , blaming those " darn kids ."

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

hope he didn't pay for that meal!

Respected Contributor

Sorry that happened.

I would definitely contact their corporate headquarters and let them know what you experienced.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Super Contributor

The older one gets the more you see how people are and their behaviors. Chain food restaurants, etc., give me pause. I don't eat at these places anymore. Don't like take out and have learned to cook. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a big fan of Cracker Barrel.  We have stopped on occasion when on long road trips.  I usually order breakfast fare, but it is never very hot.  I hate lukewarm food.  

It is better not to dwell on the horrors of what goes on in restaurant kitchens.  That goes for your high end and fast food.  If you choose to eat out, think about the fact that you aren't cooking and don't have the clean up instead of if the cook washed their hands or just blew their nose. Woman Surprised

That's what I do.  Woman Wink  Also, if you enjoy an adult beverage with your meal, I like to think that can be an antiseptic of sorts.  Woman Wink

Sorry you had a bad meal, @happycat .  I hope you weren't charged. The manager sounds like she was in a little over her head....imagine??  Don't let this stop you from future dining out experiences.  If you go out enough you are bound to have a bad one once in awhile.  That hasn't stopped us from going out.  We eat out 4 nights a week.  We are still living and breathing the good life!Woman Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!