Honored Contributor

Re: Cracker Barrel last night

There aren’t any CB around here. They’re all off the interstates and highways. We went on a few bus trips our friend ran and those stopped at CB. Nothing special for us.

Respected Contributor

Cracker Barrel last night

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
1- All restaurants do not have roaches.

2- Mom was from TN and she did NOT put eggs in her giblet gravy or her dressing. Neither does anyone in her family. So, no. Giblet gravy doesn’t automatically have egg. That’s just gross! 😱😂

True!! 

As for chain restaurants the likes CB, Applebees (crapplebees) etc., it's just hard to get workers, especially these days.

They're a whole different world than independent, or mom & pop operations.

In the former, you'll primarily find folks who are utterly unfamiliar with food. They're more 'assemblers' than actual cooks.

Case in Point:

Back when Applebees first came to our town, my two teenaged sons were hired to be the Friday and Saturday night cooks (!?!), and they could barely fry an egg. LOL!

I was a hotel restaurant manager for many years and the cooks who passed in 'n out wouldn't be caught dead working in a chain. Why? They all said it was like being a galley slave & chained to an oar.

Slave labor/lousy pay.

That being said, I do like an occasional eggplant parm at Olive Garden!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

you can find plenty of giblet gravy recipes that do add finely chopped hard boiled eggs. it isnt that unusual.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
1- All restaurants do not have roaches.

2- Mom was from TN and she did NOT put eggs in her giblet gravy or her dressing. Neither does anyone in her family. So, no. Giblet gravy doesn’t automatically have egg. That’s just gross! 😱😂

True!! 

As for chain restaurants the likes CB, Applebees (crapplebees) etc., it's just hard to get workers, especially these days.

They're a whole different world than independent or mom & pop operations.

In the former, you'll primarily find folks who are utterly unfamiliar with food. They're more 'assemblers' than actual cooks.

Case in Point:

Back when Applebees first came to our town, my two sons were hired to be the Friday and Saturday night cooks (!?!), and they could barely fry an egg. LOL!

I was a hotel restaurant manager for many years and the cooks who passed in 'n out wouldn't be caught dead working in a chain. Why? They all said it was like being a galley slave & chained to an oar.

Slave labor/lousy pay.

That being said, I do like an occasional eggplant parm at Olive Garden!

I always suspected this was the case in most 'chain' restaurants.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

for low wages I think there a lot of places that would be easier to work at than a restaurant.  I would complain but I can't fully blame the manager at CB because there is only so much work one person can do.   Minumum wage is still only 7.25 in a lot of places and that doesn't even cover the cost of working sometimes.

Respected Contributor

My news (on line) has every 3 weeks a food inspection which passed or which failed. it's called Dirty Dining and was surprised they have a certain amount of time to correct their health inspections. I like eating out and will not cook every meal at home. Most menus do cater towards people that have diet restrictions. Wait staff & cooks rely on us to go out if we don't they will lose jobs. I do seek out the local Mom & Pop's they can't compete with chains but do chains a few times also. I have also seen rude customers treating wait staff horrible. Sometimes the cook gets backed up and longer wait which reflects on their tip, not their fault. Always check on yelp.com enter in the restaurant in your area to see the replies & menu prices before going. 

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg, neither Bob Evans nor Cracker Barrel franchise. They are all corporate run.

My ex husband was from the Mississippi delta. She put eggs in her gravy.
Esteemed Contributor

Your story there is why we mainly eat in locally owned restaraunts where food is made fresh with daily fresh ingredients. We very rarely eat in chain places. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008  ..... You are correct they are all corporate owned. I erred in my comment saying they were franchised.

Respected Contributor

Not sure but think saw Pioneer woman do hard boiled eggs in gravy too. Seem this maybe a Southern thing, not sure. I like gravy smooth but that is how i grew up.. No gizzards or liver in the gravy depends on your lifestyle. enjoy whatever.