Honored Contributor

Coyotes are brazen.  We see them walking past the house in AZ during the day.  I never let my 20 pound dog outside on his own.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have them walking down the street in our area, too, during the day.

Honored Contributor
Bobcats and coyotes are in our neighborhood a lot. The bobcats I have seen are huge and beautiful. They stroll through yards and seem unconcerned with humans...they are just looking for food. Unfortunately, they usually end up with someone’s pet cat because the owner is too stupid to keep their pet inside, the coyotes we see look emaciated and sick. I hope they aren’t spreading some disease. There have been a couple of reports of attacking people who were out jogging but they look too week to me to pose much of a threat. They are both being forced out of their habitats to the north of us and are being forced back down here to look for food and water. Hawks are usually the only wildlife we have to be wary of when we let our cat out n the back patio, which is fenced.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Coyote scare

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

..... and rattlesnakes are among the wildlife released throughout West Virginia counties by the Department of Natural Resources within the last 20 years.

EGAD! 

I'd have to move from WVA. I'm in a neighboring state, I just know they're making their tail rattling way to my neighborhood.

OMGOSH.Cat Surprised

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Esteemed Contributor

We have them in urban Seattle, and they are increasing in number and boldness. They will walk within a few feet of humans with no qualms. They use sidewalks in neighborhoods, and they kill our cats, dogs, and whatever they can find if rabbits are not available. It's amazing how acclimated they really are. My pets are no longer indoor/outdoor pets. They are total indoor animals. I could not bear it if I found only parts of my babies scattered in the cul de sac.

Honored Contributor

@skittles2,

I know, right?   But at least you are in a neighboring state; I am in the same general area where the timber rattlers were released!    

“Balance the ecosystem” was the idea behind the DNR releasing those slithering critters here.   Yes, this heavily forested area is probably a perfect environment for these snakes, and as long as they found that perfect environment and stay there, WV’s eco system might remain balanced.  But if one slithers over the mountain to my yard, and I see it, it is DEAD!   To Hell with the eco system if I see a timber rattler in my yard!   

I am surrounded by mountains and near an area heavily populated by copperheads.   I’ve lived 64 years on this property, and as a child, stepped on the only copperhead ever seen here.   

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop 

I am shivering and crying  FOR YOU! I don't know how you do it. I couldn't. I feel for you as a young girl.Cat Surprised

“Balance the ecosystem”.... while unbalancing people emotionally and literally through potential decreased population count if anyone loses their life from an untreated bite.

Sending good thoughts your way. No, make the GREAT thoughts.Cat Happy

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy 

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Esteemed Contributor

I live in area where there are coyotes, bears, and other wildlife.  I don't get too excited if I see one coyote.  It is meeting a pack that concerns me.  I used to walk early morning a lot but, since I broke my foot, I tend to use the elliptical more so I don't encounter as much wildlife as I used to.

We have apple trees on our property.  I now clean up downed apples in the Fall.  We have a Lab.  That is why we don't want them around.  

We have seen coyotes in winter that have mange and are very sickly looking.  We tend to see more of them in winter when the lake freezes and they roam more freely from shore to shore.

When I walk I carry a marine horn in my pocket.  I have never had to use it.  LM

Honored Contributor

Coyotes are everywhere in America (except Hawaii and maybe Alaska as far as I know.) They're roamers also. They tend to travel large distances (I've heard 60 miles) in the hunt for food, shelter, and water. We have them here in Southern NJ and have for the last twenty years or so. 

There was a funny story from Southeastern Pennsylvania not too long ago. A policeman kept seeing this stray dog (or so he thought) on his route and the dog looked thin and hungry, but everytime he tried to approach it the dog took off. He started buying an extra sandwich each day at a takeout and leaving it where he'd see the dog and hope that the dog would get used to him and let him approach. After doing this for a while one of the local animal control officers saw him doing it and let him know the truth. The stray dog he thought he was befriending was actually a coyote.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

I live in Wisconsin and when we moved to this house in the country we had lots of coyotes. Now ten years later we don't have any animals left. No rabbits or squirrels very few birds so the coyotes have nothing left to eat so it looks like they move away. Also the hawks and perrigrine falcons kill a lot. I'm thinking that if there isn't anything left for them to eat they would attack people and they usually hunt in packs so that's scary.