Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Yes, but we humans can take the precautions we need to take.  Unfortunately, too many people do not -- thus, the problem.  I am not willing to sacrifice a precious animal's life for people's stupidity.  TMO.

@Deree 

As an animal lover, I feel the same concerning the use of domestic animals for tests that can be done many other ways.

I however object to your use of the word "stupidity" referencing other people's choices that do not correspond with your stated opinion and your obvious choice.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I saw it on the news.  It sounded promising.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Covid sniffing dogs

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Yes, but we humans can take the precautions we need to take.  Unfortunately, too many people do not -- thus, the problem.  I am not willing to sacrifice a precious animal's life for people's stupidity.  TMO.

@Deree 

As an animal lover, I feel the same concerning the use of domestic animals for tests that can be done many other ways.

I however object to your use of the word "stupidity" referencing other people's choices that do not correspond with your stated opinion and your obvious choice.

hckynut

@hckynut  In the past couple of days there have been a few ultra-religious neighborhoods in my large city that have had an alarming spike in covid cases.  This is after the people in my city and state have worked very hard to keep our covid positivity rate low. These groups have their own belief system. They don't believe in masks or social distancing and ultimately believe that their higher power will "take care of them."  If you don't call that stupidity and ignorance I don't know what is.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Re: Covid sniffing dogs

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Deree 

hckynut

@hckynut  In the past couple of days there have been a few ultra-religious neighborhoods in my large city that have had an alarming spike in covid cases.  This is after the people in my city and state have worked very hard to keep our covid positivity rate low. These groups have their own belief system. They don't believe in masks or social distancing and ultimately believe that their higher power will "take care of them."  If you don't call that stupidity and ignorance I don't know what is.

I agree with both of you that I don't see this as a job for innocent animals. As for the rest, I'm not getting into that debate other than to say some folks are probably stupid and some folks make choices for what they likely see as being perfectly valid reasons and are not seeking anyone's approval... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think I'd rather take a test the regular way than being sniffed-out by a dog for seven minutes.

I am assuming you have never had the nasal swab done?

If you give me 15 mins I can get 127 people who would gladly have a dog sniff them DAILY for 30 days then to have another nasal swab ever.

Having a cotton tester guided so far up your nose that you can taste it and have it turned and turned while they count 15 seconds is horrible.  I was one of the lucky ones, my nose did not start bleeding. Nor did I gag which I watched many.......

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  That test sounds miserable.  I was not able to get Covid test when I needed it; I did not fit the criteria at the time, notwithstanding pneumonia, fever, cough, terrible fatigue, etc.

Do the math.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

@Deree wrote:

I know at least 2 dogs who have contracted covid-19 and died as a result.  Sniffing out the virus?  No.

Unfortunately, so have medical care providers.

I guess we will need to wait and see how the programs will turn out. They are ongoing. 

Not always. This infers blame on those who contracted the virus. Some people are careless but others have caught the virus through no fault of their own. Moreover, there are gray areas. Some people can take precautions - but these are not always sufficient to avoid the virus; such as the medical care providers who have died; also there have been young children and people in nursing homes who had no abilitywhatsoever to protect themselves.  I recall reading about a six month old baby in NYC who died from the virus. 

Not everyone who has caught the virus made a sling-shot out of their mask and stuffed themselves into an overcrowded bar to breath all over as many people as possible. There are people who took precautions who suffered terribly and some who died. 

Concern for animal welfare is valid.  Disregard for human life is not.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@Deree 

About the religious neighborhood? I call the word(s) choice or personal choice. 

As far as positivity testing? More tests equals more testing positive. Those numbers to me are much less important than the number of deaths. 

My attention is more focused on positive things concerning the ***** virus. Fewer deaths/higher percentage of survival in all age groups.

For me over 80, my % chances of surviving should I have the virus? That is 94.8% and for me to live my life my way? Close to 95% is good enough for me. My percentage chance of surviving my 1st heart attack with Aspiration Pneumonia? That was less than 50% and here I am.

My glass as seen by me is always "half full",  for some others it always seems to be "half empty". My choice/ their choice.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just read about a dog that died from Covid.  I don't like this idea at all.  

I think some things dogs are being trained to do has gone too far.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think I'd rather take a test the regular way than being sniffed-out by a dog for seven minutes.

I am assuming you have never had the nasal swab done?

If you give me 15 mins I can get 127 people who would gladly have a dog sniff them DAILY for 30 days then to have another nasal swab ever.

Having a cotton tester guided so far up your nose that you can taste it and have it turned and turned while they count 15 seconds is horrible.  I was one of the lucky ones, my nose did not start bleeding. Nor did I gag which I watched many.......

@Abrowneyegirl   I had the deep swab and it was nothing as you describe.

People need to put on their grown-up panties and leave the dogs alone.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh